Wanted Down under, the BBC’s insight into people looking to migrate from the UK to Australia is going from strength to strength with the folks at the Beeb now looking for contributors for Series 8 of the popular down under show.
We were contacted by the BBC today with details on how to apply for series 8 of Wanted down under and by the looks of things, the process appears a little more formalised than previous years with an application form being required to support your application for the show.
I’ve taken a look at the application form and the Beeb are looking for quite a bit of personal information such as salary details, motivation, details of who came up with the idea to move, family photos etc. Their also looking for the more practical information such as whether or not you have already applied for your Australian Visa or if you have a job already on the skills in demand list.
As the BBC put it.
“We’re looking for lively and enthusiastic people who are able to be themselves on camera and willing to share their lives with us, during what can often be sensitive and significant moments. Please try to get your personality across in the form. This is possibly the biggest decision of a lifetime, so let us know who you are, WHY you really want to go, and what the main issues holding you back are.”
The BBC have provided some further guidelines to be followed when submitting your application for wanted down under which I have included below. To save you all some time (and perhaps a little heartache) , I’d recommend that you read the guidelines carefully.
BEFORE YOU APPLY – CRITERIA FOR APPEARING ON WANTED DOWN UNDER
Please ensure you meet the following criteria:
- Age: The main visa applicant must be under 45 for Australia or under 55 for New Zealand.
- Profession: Your job MUST ideally be on the skills shortage list for either Australia or New Zealand.
- The main applicants must both be GENUINELY considering emigrating; THIS IS NOT A FREE HOLIDAY. Filming in the UK and Australia can be an intense experience involving long and tiring days. Applicants need to be flexible, committed and open to the requirements of the process. Filming is fun, but is also demanding, and only those who feel they would relish that challenge should apply.
- Filming in the UK often occurs during weekdays, and this may require you to take a day or two off work.
- Filming in Australia/New Zealand will be over a weeklong period (estimated to fall between March and May 2013 at present). Exact dates will be set by the production team and are organised to fit into a tight schedule. When possible, we will try and select dates that are mutually beneficial to all concerned; however, the decision of the production team is final. Again, you may need to take time off work, which we are unable to reimburse you for.
IF YOU DO NOT MEET THE ABOVE CRITERIA
We will not consider people who do not meet ALL of the criteria, so if you don’t, please do not complete the attached application form.
IF YOU MEET THE ABOVE CRITERIA
If you meet the criteria, please complete the application form, which you can download by clicking here: http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/tv/wanteddownunder/s8application.doc
The download will start automatically. Please note you may need to copy the link above and paste it in your browser.
COMPLETING THE APPLICATION FORM FOR WANTED DOWN UNDER
We’re looking for lively and enthusiastic people who are able to be themselves on camera and willing to share their lives with us, during what can often be sensitive and significant moments. Please try to get your personality across in the form. This is possibly the biggest decision of a lifetime, so let us know who you are, WHY you really want to go, and what the main issues holding you back are.
We know that sounds like a lot, do but try to have some fun with it!
Once you have completed the form, please add some family photos (please try and keep file sizes manageable) to the document, and then e-mail it as a Word attachment back to firstname.lastname@example.org
WHAT HAPPENS NEXT
We review applications for wanted down under daily. If we wish to take your application further, we’ll contact you by telephone for the next stage of the casting process.
We receive many thousands of applications every year for the series. Because of this, we’re afraid it’s impossible for us to enter into individual correspondence with everyone who writes in. If you do not hear back from us by January 2013, please assume that you have not been selected to go through to the next stage on this occasion. Rest assured however that we do read each application.
All details you supply will be kept on file for future reference but not shared with any third party in accordance with data protection guidelines.
Thank you for reading this, and completing the application form if you choose to do so. And good luck with your possible move!
‘Wanted Down Under’ production team
So there we have it. I think it’s a little strange that the beeb only makes the application for wanted down under available in Microsoft Word format as I’d imagine not everybody has it. Having said that, I’m sure if your keen enough you’ll all be able to find a way around this.
In the meantime though. I’ve included a copy of the application form in .pdf format so for those of you reading this without MS word installed on your machined you can at least get an idea of what’s required on the form.
You can download the .PDF version of the application form by clicking the following link : bbc wanted down under application form
Good luck with your application and let us know if you’ve decided to apply.
All the best