The 9 Ways to Emigrate to Australia

Ever wondered how to go about emigrating to Australia and go about getting an Australian visa?

Wondering what the various options were and how to go about the different schemes without too much red tape or expense?

There are lots of ways to emigrate to Australia. This article spells it out in 9 easy stages.

9 Ways to Emigrate To Australia

1. The Australian economy has never been stronger and the Australian government are particularly looking out for skilled people with a specialization in many business and trade areas. In order to emigrate you could go the route of an expensive lawyer, or you could get the advice of specialist Australian immigration consultants to see if you qualify for Australian immigration eligibility.

2. If you are wondering about work skills needed to emigrate to Australia or qualifications needed to emigrate to Australia then it’s worth bearing in mind that there is a points system for applying for what is known as the Skilled Visa.

You can fill in an online form to see if you satisfy the Australian immigration points system as set out by the Australian Department of Immigration and Multicultural Affairs (DIMIA).

3. An Australia working visa. Managers, qualified professionals and skilled tradespeople are especially in demand under the Skilled Visa program.

Schemes are available for skilled visas on a permanent or temporary basis, and are all based on points needed to emigrate to Australia as set out by the Australian Immigration Department.

With the Australian job market advertising over 150,000 jobs each week and unemployment at its lowest in 10 years, being eligible for an Australia work visa has never been more possible. There is a huge demand in the plumbing, security, printing and the building trades in particular. However, despite the huge demand across the board there was a shortage of candidates for jobs in 2004.

Update 19 April 2017: The 457 / Working Holiday program has been updated. Please see this post for more information.

4. An Australian working holiday visa. These are exactly what they sound like. There are many people who dream of being able to emigrate to Western Australia or, more specifically, emigrate to Perth Australia for the amazing weather and facilities there. If you are between 18 and 30 and are looking to spend 12 months in Australia then you may qualify for one of the many Australian working holiday visas that are available every year.

5. Family Visa. If you have an Australian partner or members of your immediate family are permanently based in Australia then you may qualify for one of several family stream visas.

Your application to emigrate to Australia can be done online. The Government of Australia encourages emigration in order to bring families together. Under the Family Visa Immigration Programme, migrants considering emigration must be sponsored by a close family member or fiance living in Australia.

There are 4 schemes to choose from in order to find out if you are eligible for immigration. Select the one that best describes your situation. The sponsor must be either an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen, and would usually be 18 years of age or older.

6. Visitors and tourists. All travellers, except New Zealand citizens, must obtain a visa or travel authority before they travel to Australia. But now there is no need to worry about visiting the Australian Embassy or High Commission to get your visa.

You can now get your visa online. If you are planning to travel to Australia as a visitor or even on a business trip then you may need either a visa or an ETA (Electronic Travel Authority). An ETA will allow you to spend up to 3 months in Australia and you are free to travel anywhere you like.

7. Business and investment visas. If you have had a successful business career either at a senior executive level or as an owner of your own business you may qualify for one of the several visas under the Australian business visa program.

Under the two-stage arrangements introduced on 1 March 2003, business migrants are granted a Business Skills (Provisional) visa for four years and, after establishing the requisite level of business presence required by the DIMIA or maintaining their minimum investment, are eligible to make an application for a Business Skills (Residence) visa.

8. If you are an employee who is headhunted or moved to your company’s Australia office then you can apply under the Australia sponsored work visa. Your employer can effectively sponsor you for this by becoming your Australia Immigration Sponsor. Under this system, if you are an established professional, you can emigrate to Australia without a degree.

9. Retirement visas. If you wish to emigrate to Australia on retirement then you may be eligible for an Australia retirement visa given each year. If you are financially secure and would like to spend some of your retirement years in the warmer climates of Australia, find out if you qualify with our free online assessment.

There has never been a better time to emigrate to Australia or to apply for an Australia Work Permit or Australia visa application.

Please note the age of this article. For the latest news check out our home page or the Australian immigration Authority website at http://www.immi.gov.au

Written by Mark

Profile photo of Mark

As the founder of Getting Down Under, Mark is passionate about demystifying the process associated with a move to Australia.

Having launched Getting Down Under in early January 2006 and made the move to Australia from the UK in the same year, Mark continues to share resources and support for those looking for assitance, Getting Down Under.


Leave a Reply
  1. Hi Mark
    My name is Marios and i live in Cyprus.I hold a trade certificate in gas fitting from 2008 and ive been working as a gas fitter since 2006.i am 43 years old, married and have two kids.What are our chances to emigrate to AU?


  2. Hi.. my name is Alfredo, I’m married, and I’m 32 years old. I am a Technician in Microbiology and my wife Doctor in Medicine. We want to emigrate to Australia but we lack the resources and means because we live in a country that even Internet access is restricted, we live in Cuba.
      Any advises to be able to fulfill our dream?

  3. Hi Mark, am Kasibante Robert from Uganda i have a degree in Human Resource Management and a diploma in IT , i have a 3 year working experience i really want to leave Uganda and get a job within Australia i dont care what kind job i get but i need help on how i can find a job and what kind of visa can be easy for me to get. thanks

  4. Valuable discussion ! I loved the points . Does anyone know if my business might get ahold of a fillable AU Form 842 version to fill out ?

    • Hey Dervishi, I guess it depends what kind of sponsorship you are looking for. There are a number of options from Jobs offering sponsorship to sponsorship via a State in Australia.

  5. Hi,

    I am 22 years of age, with 3 years work experience in digital and print media, as well as online marketing. I do not have any qualifications though. With my determination to learn and grow, would I still be able to apply for a visa for Australia?

  6. Hi Mark,
    I have an advanced degree in Engineering from the US but I soon returned to India after a stink in Business Consulting and have been doing the same here. I am 26 and am looking to work in Australia for a few years. Its been 3 years since I left the engineering field but have gathered experience as a Buyer/ Merchandiser in the garment manufacturing/ consulting field and would like to move to work there. How do you suggest I could go about this ?

    Best Regards

  7. My son and his wife have 2 small boys and are moving to Australia, Can I as a 52 year old move with them? I will be taking care of grandkids.

  8. Hi. I am 46 year old, my wife is 41. I am married with 2 children.
    I have a bachelor of building degree from university of nsw. I am also recongised as a probationer member of aiqs. I have been working as a qs, contract manager and contract director for the past 25 years.
    Would like to know my chance of migrating to australia.
    Please advice.
    Thank you.

  9. I’m 47 years old as is my wife. We are looking to immigrate to Australia but not sure we would make the 60 points score.
    We are both real estate agents with NQF 4 qualification and have been in the industry over 15 years each. I also operate an Aluminium guttering business which has been in operation for 8 years but there is no trade paper for this type of contactor. I also operate a 3D immersive media company specializing in virtual tours. I think our age is a problem and we only have around $au 400k once we sell up. What are our chances.

    • Hi Gary Real Estate Agency Principal, Real Estate Agent, and Real Estate Representative are all on the CSOL so for sponsored opportunities there could be options however you may need to go the company/state sponsored route first before applying for PR.

      • Hi Mark Thanks for your reply and good news.
        I also have a specialist 3D camera which produces virtual reality walk through of internal spaces. There are Only a handful of these cameras in Australia at present and I could offer this service to any potential real estate company who may wish to sponsor me for employment.
        How do I go about state sponsorship or can I email companies directly?
        Many thanks and kind regards

        Garry Bull

        • Hi Garry, you would need to register an interest in state sponsorship as part of your EOI process.

          With regards to your second question, you can, of course email companies directly although I am unsure how successful you would be in that regard (though to be honest I probably don’t fully appreciate the nature of the service your offering or the industry either).

          Realestate.com.au is the main realty website here in Australia and should be a great place to pull together an appropriate list of companies to target.

          Hope this helps, please feel free to register a free account with us if you have any further questions (via our forums) as it’s a little difficult to keep track in our comments.


  10. Hi sir I am 42 and I am network and system engineer and I have 9 years experience and I am also have two years diploma from karachi Sheraton hotel as a pastry chef and I also have experience in this filed so plz let me know can get the immigration of Australia plz help me thanks

  11. Hi,
    my name is Srdjan I have 32 years and I am highly qualified kranist.I worked for 8 years as a crane operator in a black metalurgija.I am from Macedonia, I am married and have 2 children.Whit my family want to live and work in Australia .Please contact and help as.THANKS

  12. Hi,
    I have 9 and half years of contact centre experience, which is there in general skilled occupation; however, I have completed my graduation (bachelor’s degree) this year would like to know will I get points for my work experience.as well as for education.

  13. hi, me and my boyfriend want to move to australia hes an architechual technician and i when ive finished uni will be a childrens nurse; my mum will be just 50 when we want to go, she is head of maths in a secondary school. is there any way she would be able to apply to emigrate even though she would be over 50?

  14. Hi, I’m Beth (36) and working as an HR Specialist for ACN. My husband (35) has been in the BPO industry for more than 10 years. We are looking migrating to Australia with our 5 children. What would be the best route? Thanks

  15. This is some great information, and I appreciate your suggestion to fill out an online form to see if you satisfy the Australian immigration points system. My husband and I have been talking about moving to Australia for a while now, but with recent changes at his work, it looks like it might be a viable option. We’ll definitely fill out those forms to see if we could get a skilled visa. Thanks for the great post!

  16. hello. i am asking. could be get an immgrant visa if my score is 55? witjout yet taking ielts exam. and my occupation is under csol. someone assessed me. tnx u.

  17. hi there may ask a couple of questions ? i have a sister in autralia and im 21 years of age can she still bring me to autralia and live with them and of course to be able to work also in autralia? thank you and god bless

  18. Hi my husband 36 and I 31 are looking to move next year to Adelaide with our two children. He is a qualified Motor Mechanic has 16 years experience. Please advise best options thank you.

  19. Hi,
    Am Poline edward from malaysia and i wish to migrate to Australia because i like the country so much.Am 46 and my husband is 54.We have three children thats need better education.Which type of visa is the most suitable for us?

  20. hello sir

    can i apply as a skilled worker if i’m self employed. i have my own transport and trading business in dubai.


  21. I am Retired Captain from Pak Army (33 year) Graduate.Instead of Army experience i have also more then Eight year experience of security companies including MCB Security incharge Area office Multan.
    i want to go Australia for some Security job or relevant system.
    Please advise how i can get immigration of Australia?

  22. Hi my husband (37) wants migrate to austraila but how we dnt knw how it is possible we neend ur help and support he is skilled worker he has gud experienced in his work he has (10-15) years experienced by hand and also doing machine work plz gave me the right path.

  23. massy,
    hi i am 51 years of age i am currentley own and run two successful restaurant and property develpor as well ,financially iam ok but i might want to go to australia to set and invest into a business with some member of my family,can you please advice me ?

  24. Hi there, i am a student in Australia currently on a student visa. My brother is here too, he completed his education and has a PR. Is there anyway i can apply as a dependent to my brother and get a non restricted visa? Or am i bound to honor my student visa…thanks your help will be greatly appreciated

  25. i work as care assistant in final care homes and have a daughter and husband who are australian citizens.wjat are my chances of emigrating to sydney,australia.

  26. Hi, My husband (44) and myself (39) is trying to immigrate to Australia. My husband is an architect technician and I’m a Purchaser/Admin officer. Problem is both of us is not qualified in our professions even though we’ve been both doing the same jobs for 20 years plus. Most of our aunts and uncles are already living in Adelaide and have said they would sponsor us. After we’ve sold our assets we would have about £400,000 to take with us. We’ve desperate to move out there and would appreciate any help that anybody could give us.

  27. I am working as Asst: Manager HR/Admin my in one of the best hospital of Karachi, Pakistan. I would like to migrate to Australia.
    I am married with 3 children.
    Please advise how i could get immigration

  28. Hello,

    My family and I are looking to move to Australia, I work for the police as a staff member in the contact centre, taking emergency and non emrgency calls, my fiancee is training to be a swimming instructor, I have heard from a collegue that the country has a shortage of my role. Yet I cannot find it anywhere, could you advise please? I am 42 and know I need to be a bit sharpish herre. I have 2 children one is 14 the other 11, my fiancee is 36.

  29. I am basically from IRAQ now i am working as a D.ASISTANT in one of the specialist hospitals in IRAQ with 10 years experience. now I am looking for ajob in australia. so I would like to know the easy way to get visa to enter australia and work there in my specialist .I knew there is a demand in doctors and all medical staff,so I am ready to go there to work ,whatever the conditions were hard. .. please email me about my query.
    dear i will be thankful if you take care of my letter,I will be waiting for your kind reply.

  30. HI, I work as a trainee accountant in Ireland. I’m originally from Pakistan. Apparently, I don’t have any bachelors level qualifications or anything. However, I have around 1 and a half years experience of working as a Trainee Accountant. I am currently working on a Trainee Accountant Visa in Ireland. And I am 21 years old? Would I be eligible to apply for the high skilled migration program to Aus?

    Kind Regards,

  31. my age is 55 , a steel plant manufacture employee..my daughter in australia last 3 years in student visa how i can go to australia?
    my aim to get some old age 55 parent visa or any education visa by which i can join my daughter pl; reply and guide me

    A Ghosh India

    • Hi, to be honest i’m afraid the prospect is not a good one as your age is working against you.

      Please post in our Forums Where someone may be able to help.

      Good luck



  32. my husband is in telecoms and has been self employed for 15 years we would like to live in Australia my brother has just left to live there would that help our application?

    • Hi Lynne, if your brother has perminant residency, this could help. Best bet would be to post in our Forums if you have any more specific questions. :)



  33. Hi,
    I have just started a degree in Photojournalism, and am seriously thinking about moving out to australia in a few years when I have completed my course. However I cannot find Photography or Photojournalism on the required skills or skills shortages lists, would this mean I am unlikely to be given a VISA? Do you need a job secured before you can move over?

    Many thanks


  34. I have passed the Trade Recognition Assessment for Australia, should I apply for BR Subclass 134 visa or for Subclass 136. Which will take quicker processing?

  35. Hi Dawn,

    I would suggest the retirement option. It may cost you more but it will probably be a slightly more straight forward option in the long run.

    Business Visa is fine but you would need to commit to employing a number of Aussies within a set amount of time.

    Any more specific questions then please ask them in our forums:




  36. My husband and I are successful IT consultants running our own Ltd business since 1994 – we have friends in Perth and Sydney and are being persuaded that Australia is where we should go (preferably Perth). I am 46 and my husband is 57. We are very financially secure with no mortgages or debts. Is it possible to obtain a VISA and which is the best point 7 – Business or point 9 Retirement.
    Many thanks

  37. I am basically from IT, now i am working as a technical manager in one of the network industry in east africa. now i am looking for jobs in australia. so i would like to know the easy way to enter to australia and searching jobs for one month with visitor visa, after that once i get job will continne to apply for my work permit and visa from there.. is it possible?.. please mail me about my query..

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

What do you think?

357 points
Upvote Downvote

Total votes: 0

Upvotes: 0

Upvotes percentage: 0.000000%

Downvotes: 0

Downvotes percentage: 0.000000%

Australian Mobile Phones

Australian Mobile Phones – Getting Mobile In Australia

australians are happy

Australians More Happy With Their Lives