Performs tests and experiments, and provides technical support to assist Agricultural Scientists in areas such as research, production, servicing and marketing.
- Skill Level
- Alternative Titles
- Agricultural Technical Officer
- Agriculture Laboratory Technician
- Artificial Insemination Technical Officer
- Dairy Technician
- Field Crop Technical Officer
- Herd Tester
- Horticultural Technical Officer
- Skills Assessment Authority
- Not eligible if:
TSS, ENS – The position is not located in regional Australia (within the meaning of subregulation 5.19(7) of the Regulations).
- Endorsed Correlations to ASCO Occupations
- 3112-17 Agricultural Technical Officer
Group: 3111 Agricultural Technicians
perform tests and experiments, and provide technical support to assist Agricultural Scientists in areas such as research, production, servicing and marketing.
- examining topographical, physical and soil characteristics of farmland to determine its most effective use and identify nutrient deficiencies
- assisting in developing new methods of planting, fertilising, harvesting and processing crops to achieve optimum land usage
- identifying pathogenic micro-organisms and insects, parasites, fungi and weeds harmful to crops and livestock, and assisting in devising methods of control
- analysing produce to set and maintain standards of quality
- inspecting livestock to gauge the effectiveness of feed formulae
- assisting in controlled breeding experiments to develop improved crop and livestock strains
- arranging the supply of drugs, vaccines and other chemicals to Farmers and Farm Managers, and giving advice on their use
- collecting and collating data for research
- planning slaughtering, harvesting and other aspects of production processes
- may advise producers on farming techniques and management
- Skill Level
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications and experience outlined below.
AQF Associate Degree, Advanced Diploma or Diploma (ANZSCO Skill Level 2)
At least three years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
- Occupations in this Group
- 311111 Agricultural Technician
Looking to apply for an Australia Visa under the occupation of Agricultural Technician – ANZSCO 311111?
We’d love to hear from you. Let us know about your journey so far in our comments below!