The regulations are amended to:
- Include work rights on all initial student visa grants thus removing the need for student visa holders to make a separate application for permission to work.
- Prevent students and their family members from undertaking work until the student has commenced their course of study or training by amending student visa work conditions.
- Define the term ‘week’ as it applies to student visa work conditions.
- Increase the Student Visa Application Charge
- Amend a minor technical error made as a result of 2007 changes relating to the introduction of the Values Statement.
Transitional provisions: The amendments apply in relation to an application for a visa made but not finally determined before, or made on or after, 26 April 2008.
More info available here.