Australia Visa Requirements

Default Cover - Edit your Profile to add your own

As with other visas, Australians visas implement certain requirements. These requirements vary depending on the type of visa involved.

For skilled immigration visas, applicants should not be older than 45 years. No waiver is applicable for this criteria. Since Australia is an English-speaking country, applicants are also required to be proficient in English. Applicants who do not have English as their primary language are made to undergo an English assessment test.

The occupation being applied for by the applicant should also be included in the Skilled Occupations List issued by the government of Australia. The validity of the qualification of an applicant in his or her chosen occupation will be verified by undergoing an exam monitored by authorities in the said occupation.

Apart from these, applicants should be able to show a history of relevant work experience with documented evidences.

Meanwhile, those who wish to go to Australia through the sponsorship of a certain company should ensure that the sponsor is a lawful business and that it meets the documented sponsorship obligations.

Among these obligations are meeting the cost of return travel by the sponsored person and deducting tax from the employees salary. Likewise, the sponsor should agree to pay the applicant A$39,100 for most occupations and A$50,775 for information technology jobs.

Visa applicants who intend to go to Australia for visiting purposes are also required to meet certain criteria. If the applicant is coming from a high-risk country, evidences of commitment to the home country should be provided. This would translate to the applicants commitment to return to his or her country after his or her stay in Australia. In case of tourist visas not falling under ETAs, applicants are required to show proof that he or she has at least A$1,000 per month plus return airfare.

Those who have been denied their application for tourist visas because of reasons such as high-risk of the home country may still qualify for sponsored visitor visas. In this case, a requirement would be for the applicant to have relatives in Australia who are willing to pay a bond for him or her. However, the applicant is still required to return to his or her home country after a period of three months.

Author: Jennifer Bailey

Leave your vote

357 points
Upvote Downvote

Total votes: 0

Upvotes: 0

Upvotes percentage: 0.000000%

Downvotes: 0

Downvotes percentage: 0.000000%

Written by Mark

As the founder of Getting Down Under, Mark is passionate about demystifying the process associated with a move to Australia.
Having launched Getting Down Under in early January 2006 and made the move to Australia from the UK in the same year, Mark continues to share resources and support for those looking for assitance, Getting Down Under.

If you have a question for Mark, please post in our Forums


Leave a Reply
  1. Hey me and my fiancee lived in Australia on working holiday visa’s for 2 years. On are way back to the U.K we stop of in Thailand and got engaged. Now we are back in the U.K and really want to go back to Australia to live, We would love to live in Sydney or Darwin. What is the best way to get us back to Australia?

  2. hello there i have just currently qualified as a hairdresser and it is my dream to move to australia to be close to mum and grandmother how many years experience do i need and what kind of visa would suit me, i also have a partner and little boy just looking for some information thanks!!

  3. Hi
    I am interested to apply for a tourist Visa (676)
    I have a friend there who will help me w my accommodation, I will be staying at Sydney for less than a month, I think it’s enough time for my tour. I have enough savings for my food and other expenses there.
    In my passport I used my maiden name,though I am married. when I applied for it, I used my maiden name so it means I am single there. Now in the application form,I will put all the info about my passport and this is still new, this will expire on 2012. In the 48R form, should I tick on the married or de facto, or never married or been in a de facto relationship?

    • Hi Joanne

      I think I’d air on the side of caution. If you are married then state it as such.

      I’d probably take a copy of your marraige certificate though to help prove the authenticity of your claim If required.

      Friends of our travelled to Australia on their honeymoon and did a similar thing a they hadn’t had chance to update their passports before hand.

      Have a great trip :)



  4. Hi there!

    My partner has just been offered a job in Australia for 2 years and the company is providing visa’s for the both of us to live there but said i should apply for my own work visa! can someone please help me cause i’m so confused! i have a degree and have worked in various jobs! i just dont no where to start looking as the ones i’ve read about expire after 6 month/1 year! :oS

    Thankyou in advance!

  5. how old do you need to be to emigate to australia,
    i am 48 years old i have a class one hgv licence a forklift licence a hiab licence , also been branch manager of a builders merchant ie wolseley uk. i ran succesfull branch making profit but due to credit crunch i and a number of branches were closed down.

    • Alan, I’m afraid you’ll struggle once you get over 45. Do you have a younger spouse you could use as a primary applicant?

      Perhaps post in our forums and one of our registered migration agents may be able to help.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *