The Minister for Home Affairs and Minister for Immigration and Border Protection, Peter Dutton has introduced a new legislative instrument which will increase the minimum points required for skilled visa applications from 60 points to a new minimum of 65.
Australia Skilled Visa Point Increase Details
- minimum points required increased from 60 to 65 points, effective 1 July 2018
- the changes will apply to all Expression of Interest (EOI) applications which has yet to receive an Invitation to Apply (ITA) as of 30 June 2018
- EOI applications which received an ITA before 1 July 2018 will still be able to submit a visa application, within the 60 days from an invitation
- the changes will affect the following visas:
- Skilled-Independent (Permanent) (Class SI) Subclass 189
- Skilled-Nominated (Permanent) (Class SN) Subclass 190
- Skilled-Regional Sponsored (Provisional) (Class SP) Subclass 489
This is a HUGE policy change, especially for applicants who are just meeting the points requirements at 60 points for State Nominated applications (subclass 190 or 489).
If you are affected, you will need to increase your points before you can receive an Invitation to Apply
This information is accurate on 30 June 2018