Studies the chemical and physical properties of substances, and develops and monitors chemical processes and production.
- Skill Level
- Analytical Chemist
- Industrial Chemist
- Skills Assessment Authority
- No caveats apply to this occupation.
- Endorsed Correlations to ASCO Occupations
- 2111-11 Chemist
Group: 2342 Chemists, and Food and Wine Scientists
study the chemical and physical properties of substances, develop and monitor chemical processes and production, develop new and improve existing food products, and plan and coordinate the production of wine and spirits.
- conducting experiments and tests to identify the chemical composition and reactive properties of natural substances and processed materials
- analysing and conducting research to develop theories, techniques and processes, and testing the reliability of outcomes under different conditions
- developing practical applications of experimental and research findings
- testing food products for flavour, colour, taste, texture and nutritional content
- advising on preserving, processing, packaging, storing and delivering foods
- developing quality control procedures and safety standards for the manufacture of food products
- examining grape samples to assess ripeness, sugar and acid content, and determining suitability for processing
- coordinating winemaking processes, directing workers in testing and crushing grapes, fermenting juices, and fortifying, clarifying, maturing and finishing wines
- blending wines according to formulae and knowledge of winemaking techniques
- Skill Level
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification. In the case of Wine Makers, at least five years of experience may substitute for the formal qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).
- Occupations in this Group
- 234211 Chemist
- 234212 Food Technologist
- 234213 Wine Maker
Looking to apply for an Australia Visa under the occupation of Chemist – ANZSCO 234211?
We’d love to hear from you. Let us know about your journey so far in our comments below!