(@mark)
Illustrious Member Admin

Hi all, creating a sticky topic as we see a lot of new threads on the lines of:

• I am a bricklayer looking for sponsorship
  • I am a quantity surveyor looking for sponsorship
  • I am a chef looking for sponsorship
  • I am a.....

and the list goes on.

There are a few key points to remember when it comes to sponsored visa opportunities.

1. Only occupations considered in demand qualify for 482 visa sponsorship.
  2. Australian employers need to be advertising qualifying vacancies where they are willing to offer sponsorship.
  3. You need to apply for the job and be successful in being selected.

Now let's go through each of these main points.

1, Only occupations considered in demand qualify for 482 visa sponsorship.

Australia has a number of skilled occupations lists and to have an occupation that qualifies for sponsorship; you need to have an occupation on one of these lists. The two main lists are the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) and the Short Term Skilled Occupations List (STSOL). Occupations on the MLTSS may eventually enable you to obtain permanent residency here in Australia. Occupations on the STSOL will enable you to live and work in Australia for a period of between 2 and 4 years. The current lists can be found here:

2, Australian employers need to be advertising vacancies where they are willing to offer sponsorship.

Next, you need to find a job where the employer is willing to offer sponsorship. There are numerous job websites here in Australia, although the majority target people who are already in Australia with a legal right to work.

Employers can only offer sponsorship after they have advertised the job locally for 30 days and have been unable to identify a resource locally. This significantly reduces the number of opportunities. 

We have our own jobs database here at getting down under. To identify roles for inclusion in our database, we use an algorithm to identify jobs listed on popular Australian job sites where the employer is willing to offer sponsorship. 

We then list these jobs on our website with a snippet of the job description and a link back to the source of the job advert. You can view our jobs database listing the latest jobs with 482 Visa sponsorship here:

Australia Sponsored Job Database

3. You need to apply for the job and be successful in being selected.

Finally, the other point worth noting is that to be sponsored, you need to apply for the job and be successful in being selected.

Just like you would apply for a job in your home country. The process for applying for a sponsored job in Australia is exactly the same. 

• You'll apply for a job you are interested in.
  • If your resume looks good, you'll be shortlisted for interview.
  • You'll be interviewed and if successful;
  • You'll be offered the job with sponsorship. 

Many of our visitors don't fully appreciate this final point. Hence, it's worth keeping in mind that you'll likely be competing for the same job, so visas to one side, you'll still need to have the skillsets that would be attractive to n Australian employer.

We hope you find this introduction useful. If you still have further questions, please start a new post in our forums or reply back to the thread that pointed you to this post. 

All the best

Mark

Community Manager
Getting Down Under

Useful Links

Looking for a Sponsored Job? Click Here

Sponsored Job Database: Click Here

Set up Job Alerts: Click Here

Posted : August 9, 2020 3:47 pm
Share: