Clear all

Partner Visa  

Community - migrate to australia
New Member Registered

I am an Australian citizen currently living in India with my Indian partner and we want to move back to Melbourne next year. We are coming in January to do the visa paper work and I just wanted some advice. We have been dating for 4 years and living together at his mothers house for over 12 months. I have bank statements and phone bills that confirm the address. I wanted to get an immigration agent/lawyer to help us as we really want it to work. Could you please tell me what kind of costs apart from the visa cost we might encounter and any other advice? Or whether you will be able to help us as a lawyer. My family lives in Australia and we want nothing more back than to move back next year. We are unable to have a join bank account in India as we must be married to do so. I am also 24 and my partner is 30 and as far as assets I own a car. I don’t know how much they expect us to have considering we in such an early stage of our lives. My partner is a professional musician and had an advertising degrees of which he work for one year in that field. I would really appreciate any advice you could give me. I also hold a new zealand passport if that helps anything and we have plenty of social media evidence of our relationship and we have traveled overseas together.

Posted : August 2, 2016 6:36 pm
Illustrious Member Admin

Hi Bella and thanks for posting in our forums (appreciate the double up on some of these fronts).

A couple of snippets from the official Aussie immigration site for your perusal.


What evidence is considered?

When submitting evidence of a de facto relationship, applicants must be able to demonstrate that their relationship has existed for at least one year before the application is made. Evidence may include but is not limited to:

The history of the relationship through a signed statement regarding:
•how, when and where the couple first met
•how the relationship developed
•the couple's domestic arrangements, that is, how they support each other financially, physically and emotionally and when this level of commitment began
•any periods of separation, when and why the separation occurred, for how long and how the couple maintained their relationship during the period of separation
•the couple's future plans.

Financial aspects of the relationship, such as:
•joint ownership of the house or joint names on a lease
•correspondence addressed to the couple at the same address
•details of financial commitments including bank statements, and any joint liabilities.

The nature of the household, such as:
•any joint responsibility for the care and support of any children
•the couple's living arrangements including sharing responsibilities within the home.

Social context, such as:
•evidence that the couple is generally accepted and recognised as a couple socially such as joint invitations
•evidence of common friends
•assessments by the couple's friends and family of the relationship
•joint travel or joint participation in sporting, social or cultural activities.

The couple's commitment to each other, such as:
•the duration of the relationship including knowledge of each other
•intention to have a long term relationship, for example, through terms of their wills
•correspondence and telephone accounts to show that the couple maintained contact during any periods of separation.

With regards to the process and the actual documentation required to be completed and costs. See:

I know that there is a lot of info there however I would work through the check list before committing to using an agent as you may be able to do a lot of this stuff yourself.

Hopefully you'll get some feedback from others who may have had experience.


Mark :)

Community Manager
Getting Down Under

Useful Links

Looking for a Sponsored Job? Click Here

Sponsored Job Database: Click Here

Set up Job Alerts: Click Here

Posted : August 2, 2016 7:18 pm
Community - migrate to australia
New Member Registered

Hi Mark,

I am new on this forum so please excuse me if I am going about this the wrong way. I want to submit my partner visa application, and I am considering going through an agent. My question is should I go for an agent based in Australia ( I am currently living in UK)? I am looking at Laurie Duncan of Absolute Immigration. His bio states he has extensive experience in partner visa having worked on the other side of fence. Please let me know what's the best course of action.


Posted : August 27, 2018 11:02 am