Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Requirement for Job Description Letters to match Job Code  

RSS
(@dyneshv)
New Member Registered

Hi there,

First of all, I just wanted to say hello. I'm glad I found this site as it seems to have a lot of helpful information. I do however need a bit of advice on two specific issues.

I'm keen on applying for a Skills Assessment to EA under the code 233215 - Transport Engineer. I have nearly 10 years of experience in the transport engineering and planning field. The advice I've received says that my duties described in the job description letters should match at least 70% of the tasks outlined for the particular code. However, the tasks for unit group 2332 are mostly focused on civil engineering duties. I have no experience as a civil engineer, only as a transport engineer and planner. My job descriptions will match only two or maybe three items in the list of tasks for 2332. Would anybody be able to shed some light on whether this would essentially kill my chances? 

Secondly, one of my past employers has not given me a roles and responsibilities letter with a description of my duties, despite my best efforts. Can I submit a statutory declaration stating what my duties on that job were? From what I understand, EA doesn't normally accept declarations. I have all the other documentation for that job (including an offer letter and a simple experience letter giving basic information about my employment). 

Many thanks for any help you guys may be able to provide.

Regards 

Posted : March 2, 2020 3:34 am
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member Admin
Posted by: @dyneshv

I'm keen on applying for a Skills Assessment to EA under the code 233215 - Transport Engineer. I have nearly 10 years of experience in the transport engineering and planning field. The advice I've received says that my duties described in the job description letters should match at least 70% of the tasks outlined for the particular code. However, the tasks for unit group 2332 are mostly focused on civil engineering duties. I have no experience as a civil engineer, only as a transport engineer and planner. My job descriptions will match only two or maybe three items in the list of tasks for 2332. Would anybody be able to shed some light on whether this would essentially kill my chances? 

Hi there and welcome! 🖐️ 

Assuming you are using the reference here:

https://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Latestproducts/FEC9451D12A0D9B9CA2575DF002DA5EA?opendocument

The ABS tends to be quite generic when describing job functions and given Transport Engineer comes under the broader heading of civil engineer then it's not surprising to me that there is a heavy civil engineer bias in the description.

What is important is that you meet the detail under Transport Engineer. Specifically:

233215 TRANSPORT ENGINEERPlans and develops transport systems to improve infrastructure efficiency and the cost-effectiveness of moving people and freight. Registration or licensing may be required.

I'm unsure where you got the 70% rule from, this is a new one to me, and I wouldn't let this guide your approach too much.

Posted by: @dyneshv

Secondly, one of my past employers has not given me a roles and responsibilities letter with a description of my duties, despite my best efforts. Can I submit a statutory declaration stating what my duties on that job were? From what I understand, EA doesn't normally accept declarations. I have all the other documentation for that job (including an offer letter and a simple experience letter giving basic information about my employment). 

With regards to your second question.

A statutory declaration that a previous employer was unable to / refused to provide an employment reference is certainly an option, but it does not guarantee that you will be credited for your work for this employer as part of the skills assessment process.

Though I appreciate that you have been using your best efforts, I would certainly push to obtain this information as having this will increase the likelihood of success.

All the best

Mark

Community Manager
Getting Down Under

Useful Links

Sponsored Job Database: Click Here

Set up Job Alerts: Click Here

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 3, 2020 3:35 pm
(@dyneshv)
New Member Registered

@mark Hi Mark, thank you very much for your reply. 

I am indeed using the job description in the abs.gov.au link. Most of my work experience will match the specific detail for the Transport Engineer role so I think I'm a little more reassured now that I can go ahead and apply. 

And I will take your advice on board about getting the letter from my ex-employer. It's been really difficult to get in touch with them but I'll redouble my efforts.

Thank you again for your advice!

Regards

Dynesh  

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 5, 2020 3:05 am
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member Admin

No worries @dyneshv, best of luck mate and please keep in touch as you progress through your journey. 👍 

Community Manager
Getting Down Under

Useful Links

Sponsored Job Database: Click Here

Set up Job Alerts: Click Here

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 5, 2020 10:47 am
Share:
Scroll to Top