Share:

Seeking advice  

RSS
(@dharshad)
Active Member Registered

Hi

I am looking to migrate to Australia to live and work.

I am currently working in Canada under a temporary work permit as an engineer involved in extracting natural gas from the earth. I have been in this field since 2006 and I have some work experience around the world. I also worked for about 4.5 years in Australia for a Brisbane based oil and gas producer and left to Canada in November 2014.

I notice that Petroleum Engineering (category under which my skills would apply) is no longer listed in the 2016-2017 SOL. Although a Chemical Engineer by qualification, I have only worked in upstream petroleum engineering in oil and gas projects around the world.

I was wondering if I should still go ahead and get Engineers Australia to assess my skills, as I need to nominate an occupation under the SOL to be assessed under.

Thank you for your input.

Posted : May 18, 2016 9:51 am
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member Admin

Hi there :)

Yes I would. Keep in mind the current SOL is still valid (although its only valid until the end of June 2016)!

The sooner you do this the better however also keep in mind that if you have historical experience, you could also use this to nominate an alternative role.

Key thing is that your bale to demonstrate your competency and experience in that role.

All the best

Mark

Community Manager
Getting Down Under

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 19, 2016 4:52 pm
(@dharshad)
Active Member Registered

Hi Mark

Thanks for your reply. Some comments:

a. If I nominate another role, will I not be limited to jobs under that role? For example, I would like to nominate Engineering Manager under the SOL but this I realize has to be verified by AIM and I have no documented experience in this role.

b. If the current SOL is still valid until end of June 2016, will I still not require EA to validate my skills before applying? This process takes about 3-4 weeks and its quite a task to fill in the CDR.

c. Can I apply under the Petroleum Engineer SOL and if I do end up getting invited to apply for residency, can I then get EA to validate my experience? I am just wary of the authorities deeming the current oil and gas glut to be an indicator of an oversupply of PEs and as such I may not receive an invitation to apply.

Thanks for your time and input.

Devin

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 27, 2016 8:53 am
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member Admin

Hi Devin

If I nominate another role, will I not be limited to jobs under that role? For example, I would like to nominate Engineering Manager under the SOL but this I realize has to be verified by AIM and I have no documented experience in this role.

For the general skilled migration scheme you are not limited to undertake only the job you nominated. Having said that you will need to evidence that you have experience/qualifications in the role you nominate.

b. If the current SOL is still valid until end of June 2016, will I still not require EA to validate my skills before applying? This process takes about 3-4 weeks and its quite a task to fill in the CDR.

c. Can I apply under the Petroleum Engineer SOL and if I do end up getting invited to apply for residency, can I then get EA to validate my experience? I am just wary of the authorities deeming the current oil and gas glut to be an indicator of an oversupply of PEs and as such I may not receive an invitation to apply.

Hmmm, this might be a problem from a timing perspective unfortunately.

Reading this helpful overview here:

http://migrationblog.border.gov.au/2013/02/18/top-10-tips-for-submitting-an-expression-of-interest-eoi-in-skillselect/

It looks like you will indeed need to have your qualifications and experience validated in support of your EOI and based on the time taken to do this you might struggle to have your EOI validated in time.

Not the most positive of answers I'm afraid though happy to discuss your options.

All the best

Mark

Community Manager
Getting Down Under

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 27, 2016 9:02 pm
(@dharshad)
Active Member Registered

Hi Mark

Thank you for your response.

Im afraid given the circumstances, the following are my options:
a. Wait for the 2017-2018 or 2018-2019 SOL to see if Petroleum Engineering reappears in the list. I am currently 37 with a late in the year birth date so i think i still have 2 more years before I lose points in the 33-39 year old category.

b. Apply for jobs in Australia and if I am successful ask my future employer to sponsor my residency

c. Apply for jobs in Australia under a 457 short term business skill and apply for residency after 2 years

d. Go back to school in Australia although I am not sure how that will work in terms of my chances of getting residency, given my age.

Let me know what you think. Happy to pursue other options.

Rgds
Devin

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 28, 2016 9:02 pm
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member Admin

Hi Devin

Option b and c are kind of the same unfortunately as if you were sponsored you would likely be brought in on a sponsored business visa which is the 457.

In order to qualify for a 457 you'll need to have experience in a profession listed on the Consolidated Sponsored Occupations List (CSOL), we included jobs on the CSOL towards the bottom of the SOL list here:

https://gettingdownunder.com/sol-2016-17/

Studying could be an option however the route to PR via the study patch could be a tricky one.

Chemical Engineer is still listed on the SOL. How transferable are your skills and how is the job market for Chemical Engineers at home?

Tasks for this role include (via http://www.abs.gov.au/ )

Tasks Include:

preparing designs for chemical process systems and planning control systems for processes such as those used to remove and separate components, effect chemical changes, test and evaluate fuels, transfer heat, and control the storing and handling of solids, liquids and gases
monitoring the operation and maintenance of equipment to achieve maximum efficiency under safe operating conditions
ensuring correct materials and equipment are used and that they conform to specifications
diagnosing malfunctions in chemical plants and instituting remedial action
studying product utilisation and pollution control problems
reviewing plans for new products and submitting material selection recommendations in accordance with design specifications and factors such as strength, weight and cost
planning and implementing laboratory operations to develop new materials and fabrication procedures for new materials to fulfil production cost and performance standards
conferring with producers of materials, such as metals, ceramics, polymers, cements and elastomers, during the investigation and evaluation of materials suitable for specific product applications
reviewing product failure data and implementing laboratory tests to establish or reject possible causes, and advising on ways to overcome any problems

Might a refocus on the role your qualified for be an option?

Cheers

Mark

Community Manager
Getting Down Under

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 28, 2016 11:52 pm
(@dharshad)
Active Member Registered

Hey Mark

Thank you for your response.

My options are limited to a petroleum engineer type role as it is the only role I have had about 12 years of experience in, including 4.5 years in Australia.

The 2016/2017 CSOL for 457, 190 and 186 includes Petroleum Engineer as a role which could be an option. What is the difference between 186 and 190?

I would have liked to nominate Chemical Engineering or Engineering Manager as alternative roles however given my age (37) and the points threshold I would not meet the minimum in order to successfully lodge and EOI. This would negate the benefit of a career change and gaining at least 3-4 years of experience before applying.

Happy to hear your views if I have erred.

Thanks,
Devin

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 31, 2016 2:28 pm
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member Admin

Hi Devin

Main difference between the 186 and 190 visa is that the 190 visa is nominated by a state or territory whilst the 186 visa is employer nominated. In general though, the visa is pretty much the same.

Both visa types enable you to

- stay in Australia indefinitely
- work and study in Australia
- enroll in Medicare, Australia's scheme for health-related care and expenses
- apply for Australian citizenship (if you are eligible)
- sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence
- travel to and from Australia for five years from the date the visa is granted (after that time, you will need a resident return visa or another visa to return to Australia).

Perhaps consider the Employer sponsored option? Down side for this is that you'll need a job vacancy to be sponsored and having just come out of the oil and gas industry here in Australia myself, I can attest to the down turn in the industry locally.

Perhaps review the job postings over on 457jobsaustralia.com to see if there is anything that might be of interest?

Sorry I couldn't be of more help Devin. I would recommend seeking the services of a Migration agent if you are serious about aquiring a visa as their may be other avenues beyond my current level of understanding.

How to find a registered migration agent

All the best

Mark

Community Manager
Getting Down Under

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 31, 2016 3:47 pm
(@dharshad)
Active Member Registered

Mark

No worries, thank you for your reply. I think getting a job sponsor is about the only other chance unless they revise the SOL.

I think I will still go about getting my CDR done, I might need it to apply to Engineers Australia later. Once the CDR assessment and work experience is done through EA, do you know how long it stays valid for?

Cheers
Devin

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 28, 2016 12:33 pm
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member Admin

Hi Devin

Via the EA website:

How long is the assessment letter valid for migration purposes?

Whilst the assessment outcome will remain valid indefinitely, the letters are only valid for migration purposes for 12 months. If you require a letter of assessment after this time, you may return the original letter to our office, with the administrative fee of $75.00 to receive an updated letter.

Hope this helps. Good luck an dplease keep in touch! :)

Regards

Mark

Community Manager
Getting Down Under

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 28, 2016 6:39 pm
Share:
Scroll to Top

Please Login or Register