UK Citizen looking ...
Clear all

UK Citizen looking for Sponsorship  

Community - migrate to australia
New Member Registered

Hi Mark, 

Firstly, thank you for setting up this community and sharing your experiences and learnings of your successful emigration to Australia. 

I have been longing to move to Australia for some time now. My sister lives on the Mornington Peninsula with her Australian husband and 2 year old child. They run a growing events company providing mobile food trucks, tipis, portaloos etc to a variety of events across the Mornington Peninsula and beyond. We have been looking at ways for their company to sponsor me to move over to help grow the business alongside them. 

I have been working in the hospitality industry for 7 years now since graduating in Managing Performance, predominantely in Resturant Management positions at the Soho House Group as well other successful food groups. I have a real desire to move to Australia to further my career and build a successful business with my sister and brother and law. I wanted to ask you about the best way to go about this, please see a few questions below: 

- would it be an issue that my sister owns the company that would be sponsoring me?

- from my research so far it seems that I would fall under the 'Café and Restaurant Manager' category, however, how much flexibility is there within this category. For example, I will be managing a fleat of mobile food trucks, our commercial kitchen space etc so not managing from a fixed premises, would this be an issue? 

- Apart from the STSOL 482 visa scheme, what other visa options would you recommend for me to persue? 


I very much look forward to hearing from you and discussing my various options. Many thanks in advance. 



Posted : August 20, 2019 9:51 pm
Illustrious Member Admin

Hi Simon and welcome ?️ 

This is a good question and based on my research I've been unable to find anything that would suggest it would be an issue (individuals have even been known to set up companies and sponsor themselves as an employee of the company (482 Visa Self sponsorship).

The only thing I would flag based on the information available here is that your sister would need to apply for a labor agreement and in turn, demonstrate that

there is a demonstrated need that cannot be met in the Australian labour market 

In short, this means that our sister will be expected to demonstrate that she has been unable to find a resource locally to fill the position. 

To be absolutely sure, I'd give the Aussie migration department a quick call. They are generally able to answer questions like this quite quickly. Should you choose to call, I'd really appreciate it if you can update your post with their feedback. You can find their contact details here.

With regards to other visa options. Have you considered applying as an independent candidate? (189 visa).

I'm unsure if you have taken a points test to understand how ay points you would qualify for as an independent candidate? 

2019 Australian Points test <- Points test here

Sorry that I couldn't give you a more succinct answer Simon. Though I know quite a bit about migrating to Australia, questions like this fall into the 'unusual circumstances' box and I'd much rather point you to an official source to seek clarity rather than second-guessing an answer.

All the best


Community Manager
Getting Down Under

Useful Links

Sponsored Job Database: Click Here

Set up Job Alerts: Click Here

Posted : August 23, 2019 9:31 am