Clear all

Bridging Visas  

New Member Registered
Joined: 1 year ago
Posts: 1
Topic starter  


I understand that bridging visas are issued for people waiting for a decision to move from one substantive visa to another if the former runs out. However, I am not sure what denotes a substantive visa.

I am particularly interested in moving from:

Second Working Holiday Visa to a Third Working Holiday Visa

Third Working Holiday Visa to a 476 Recognised skilled graduate visa

and finally, the 476 skilled graduate while waiting for a 189 application.

Would just like to know if a bridging visa would be issued for any of these transitions or where I can find the information on substantive visas...

Thanks for any help :)


Illustrious Member Admin
Joined: 14 years ago
Posts: 820

Hi Jim and welcome ?️  looks like you have an interesting visa journey planned!

See here for the official defiition of a substantive visa:

A substantive visa is any visa that allows the visa holder to remain temporarily in Australia other than:

  • a bridging visa
  • a criminal justice or enforcement visa

Looks like you'll be covered (theoretically). ?

All the best



Useful Links: Looking for a Sponsored Job? Click Here
Sponsored Job Database: Click Here
Set up Job Alerts: Click Here

jl236 liked