Share:
Notifications
Clear all

36 yo with work experience - is studying a Master my only option to PR?

(@tinita_84)
New Member Registered
Topic starter  

Hi there! 

How lovely to find this website! Trying to find the relevant information about migrating Down Under seems such a complicated matter, that at this point I cant's see the wood for the trees anymore - so I'm hoping maybe I can get some guidance here :) 

Long story short(er): I am a 36yo Belgian woman (currently in Belgium) with 3 bachelor degrees: 1) Communication and Event Management, 2) Tourism & Hotel Management and 3) Journalism. Most of my work experience lays in the Sales en Tourism/Hospitality Industry, and the past 6 years I have been working as a Sales/Loyalty Manager onboard a boutique Cruise Line.  

in 2011-2012 I did a 1 year working holiday in New Zealand and another one in Australia. Ever since I have wanted to live in Australia permanently, but decided to work on cruise ships first for a couple of years to travel, earn money and gain work experience. Then in 2017 the sponsorship visa disappeared and I understand now my chances to migrate to Australia are unfortunately much smaller than before. 

Last week I had a consultation with a qualified Immigration lawyer based in Melbourne, hoping she could explain me exactly what my options are at this point. She told me my chances to get in through a skilled visa option are basically non exisiting :(. Although Sales Manager is on the skilled list - she thinks I don't have enough relevant Marketing experience, and therefor wouldn't qualify. She said my only option would be to come on a study visa and study a Master in for example Marketing, then try to find a relevant job in Australia in Marketing and find a way to PR that way. 

Now - I looked into that and came to the conclusion that studying a Master in Australia is VERY expensive, plus it is something I wouldn't be interested in if it wasn't for the PR pathway option. I already have studied for over 5 years and it feels like such waste of money when I am not 100% sure if will indeed give me PR in the end. I also feel my work experience is much more valuable than another study. 

So I just want to know if indeed there are really no other options for me? I would be ok to study for a relevant diploma in Australia (less expensive and I could choose something more 'in demand' in Australia), but according to the migration agent, studying for a diploma in Australia can never lead to PR ... Would New Zealand be an easier option for me? Are there specific states in Australia that are easier to migrate to than others? 

I really want to do whatever it takes and realize I need to do it over the next 8 years as the age limit for PR is 45... So if that means studying a Master that will cost me close to AUD 100 000, than I will work a bit more and try to get that amount of money and go for it, but it just seems such a long shot... So I am hoping someone can tell me there are other options out there...

Thanks so much to take the time to read this!

Warm regards from Belgium,

Tine 

Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member Admin

Hi there Tine and welcome to GDU 🖐️ 

OK, so I assume you walked through your resume when you met with the migration agent. 

The skills you would need to demonstrate for a sales/marketing manager can be found here:

https://gettingdownunder.com/sales-and-marketing-manager-anzsco-131112/  

An Anzsco skill level of 1 is required for this role. Occupations at Skill Level 1 have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification. At least five years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualification. In some instances, either relevant experience or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.

The bigger problem you have is that the sales and marketing manager occupation is only on the STSOL  STSOL stands for Short Term Skilled Occupations Lists so jobs on this list do not generally qualify for PR.

This will be a barrier for you (irrespective of having a masters degree or not) so I'm not fully sure how this would help you.

We do see marketing related jobs advertised on our Australian sponsored job boards for time to time. Securing a sponsored role will see you being able to live and work in Australia (and earning income) for up to 4 years. This could be an option for you. (more info on the 482 sponsored visa here: Australian 482 Visa overview though you.

If progressing down this path, you will need to be mindful that unless the skilled occupations list change (which they do) or you don't build up a sufficient professional network to secure work in a profession on the PR Skills list, you would need to return home when your visa expires.

Please note I am not a migration agent so my advice is general (and they will know better), however, without a career change, I would say your options are indeed quite limited, unfortunately. 

On a positive note (if there is one), you have 9 years. Given you suggested you might consider the study/masters path if you really had to. Would you be open to a career change? Your education background would likely serve as a good foundation for studying in a new field and you could complete your studies in your home country which would be a lower cost and lower risk should you change your mind.

Teaching, as an example, would be a profession that is considered sought after (Primary through to high school) and could be an option?

The full list of occupations that currently qualify for PR are here.

https://gettingdownunder.com/mltssl/

The list of applications currently being offered priority processing are listed here:

https://gettingdownunder.com/pmsol/

All the best

Mark 

Useful Links: Looking for a Sponsored Job? Click Here
Sponsored Job Database: Click Here
Set up Job Alerts: Click Here

ReplyQuote
(@hamstanely)
New Member Registered

Hi my name is Harman, i reside in WA, my current points having scored 10 points in English stands at 70 points my occupation of interest is Economic analyst and i have a positive outcome letter from Vetasses. What would you advice? Should i lodge EOI? 

ReplyQuote
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member Admin

Hi @hamstanely - Replied to your other thread here 

https://gettingdownunder.com/community/thinking-about-it/eligibility/#post-1927

Please keep to one post if you can mate - I'll approve your posts as soon as I can so they are visible. Once you have made a few posts on our forum, they will appear immediately without waiting for me to moderate them first. This helps reduce spam on our forums. 

ReplyQuote
(@tinita_84)
New Member Registered
Topic starter  

Hi Mark,

Thank you so much for your all your information!! Meanwhile I am gathering information about different study options, hopefully this will lead me into the right direction... Although I am still shocked looking at the prices to study in Australia (I could buy a house in Europe for that money! unfortunately, I want to live in Australia instead... ) 

I still have a few questions in regards to your response: 

Is it true that in the NT, there is still a sponsorship visa available that can lead to PR?  Is this a realistic opportunity?

So basically, all jobs on the STSTOL list never qualify for PR? (I did not know that! I thought it did if you'd do it in Regional Australia). So imagine I study a profession on the STSOL list, I could look for a job with my graduation visa, but once that expires, I'd have to go back to Europe?

Thanks so much for your time!!!

Tine 

ReplyQuote
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member Admin

Hey there @tinita_84, good to see you. 🖐️ 

I think I should emphasise my earlier comment - so jobs on this list do not generally qualify for PR.

At the time of typing, the sales and marketing role currently qualifies for the following visa types:

190 - Skilled Nominated (subclass 190)
407 - Training visa (subclass 407)
489 - Skilled Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 489) - State or Territory nominated
482 - Temporary Skill Shortage visa (subclass 482) - Short Term Stream
report caveats apply
494 - Skilled Employer-Sponsored Regional (provisional) (subclass 494) - Employer-sponsored stream
491 - Skilled Work Regional (provisional) visa (subclass 491) State or Territory nominated

Quite a few of these offer a limited stay but the 491 visas as an example does have a pathway to PR and enables you to apply for permanent residence after 3 years from the time your visa is granted​.

All the best

Mark

ReplyQuote
Share: