Share:
Notifications
Clear all

489 visa- first entry date 8 October 2020  

RSS
(@claire81)
New Member Registered

Hi, 

This is my first post. I have notice of first entry already but I’m not sure if it will suffice. I’m thinking of getting a migration agent to assist me in applying for travel exemption. He’s charging me $220. Is this a reasonable price given that I’m travelling solo? 

Any advice? Should I wait it out? I have wasted almost a year of my four-year visa. Do you know anyone who charges less?

Thanks 🙏 

Posted : July 30, 2020 6:37 pm
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member Admin

Welcome Claire! ☺️

Seems a lot when there as an option to fill in the form for free here:

https://travel-exemptions.homeaffairs.gov.au/tep

or am I missing something? 🤔 Also is 8th October your deadline for entry?

Cheers

Mark

Community Manager
Getting Down Under

Useful Links

Looking for a Sponsored Job? Click Here

Sponsored Job Database: Click Here

Set up Job Alerts: Click Here

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 30, 2020 8:43 pm
(@claire81)
New Member Registered

@mark Hi!

Thanks for the immediate response. Yes- it says must arrive before 8 October 2020. I’ve used that form and the immigration officer  told me that it’s understandable if I can’t enter the country due to travel ban. He told me to seek legal assistance too. My paranoia kicks in that’s all. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 30, 2020 8:53 pm
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member Admin

Hmm fair enough Claire. My initial thought is I'm unsure how legal assistance will help in this case.

Given this will be the first global pandemic most have been through, I'm unsure how much experience folks will have re costs for travel exemptions.

I'd be inclined to ring around to seek a few quotes to help you benchmark your first quote. Some tips on finding registered agents here:

https://gettingdownunder.com/migration-agents-how-to-find-a-registered-australian-migration-agent/

Posted by: @claire81

I’ve used that form and the immigration officer  told me that it’s understandable if I can’t enter the country due to travel ban

Also, make sure you get this type of commentary in writing as this will serve as a useful safety net should you choose to wait it out based on this advice! 👍

All the best

Mark 😊

Community Manager
Getting Down Under

Useful Links

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 30, 2020 9:23 pm
(@claire81)
New Member Registered

@mark Thanks! 

I paraphrased the response of the immigration officer. 

This is his response and hopefully will shed light on those who have the same first entry date as mine. If there’s anyone here - please share your insights? Are you waiting it out? Do you have alternate plans? 

Unable to travel to Australia(Initial Entry Date)

If you have been granted one of the below visas and you are unable to make your first entry into Australia by the date specified in your Grant Notification letter due to the travel restrictions currently in place due to COVID-19, please refer to the attached Information for First Entry to Australia.

Generally you will be able to arrive in Australia after the initial entry date, as long as it is before the “Must not arrive after date” specified in your visa Grant Notification letter.  You do not need to be granted an “extension” to your initial entry date or visa.

The attached notice should be sufficient evidence for a travel provider to be satisfied that the visa holder can enter Australia as the holder of a Skilled visa. Visa holder(s) may wish to carry a copy of this notice to present to the airline when checking in at the airport and on arrival into Australia. Please note that some delays may be encountered upon arrival into Australia while visa validity is verified.

Skilled Independent (subclass 189)

Skilled Nominated (subclass 190)

Skilled Regional (subclass 489)

Skilled Work Regional (subclass 491)

We cannot extend the validity period of your visa. If your Skilled Migration visa ceases and you have not entered Australiayou will need to apply for another visa.

Hope this helps. Thanks again, Mark!

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 30, 2020 9:34 pm
Mark liked
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member Admin

Thanks so much for taking the time to share Claire.

Hopefully you'll be able to connect with someone in similar circumstances or worse case, your insight will prove very helpful for others in similar circumstances 🤗

Please keep in touch as you progress on your exciting journey. Where are you looking to settle?

All the best

Mark 

Community Manager
Getting Down Under

Useful Links

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 31, 2020 6:53 am
(@claire81)
New Member Registered

@mark no worries - the immigration lawyer couldn’t lower his fee anymore. I’ve only researched a bit on Tamworth, Bathurst, and Albury.  I’m open to live anywhere around regional area as long as I get a stable job first. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 31, 2020 9:28 pm
Mark liked
Share: