Share:

Another Visa question...  

RSS
(@andym)
Active Member Registered

How do family applications actually work? Do we lodge individually and both add the kids, does one of us apply and attach everyone else to the application? In which case can/should you apply to work and add everyone else as joining/following you?

And what would happen if she got accepted with the kids and I didn't qualify or vice versa, do they look at the family unit?

Posted : June 27, 2019 3:17 pm
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member Admin

Hi mate, depends on how you are defining family visa?

In my instance. I applied as a family but my missus was the primary applicant and myself and my son were additional applicants.

In essence, my wife was the person who had her skills assessed and had to meet all of the requirements, I and my son came along as baggage (official term; dependents). 

I know that sounds super basic but in it's most simple terms, that's how it works (other family members come over as 'additional applicants') 

See the official info here though keep in mind this was the visa class we came to Australia under. Your options may be different though, in general terms, a similar approach will apply to most visas.

Regards

Mark

Community Manager
Getting Down Under

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 27, 2019 5:55 pm
(@andym)
Active Member Registered

So if I was the primary, then my wife wouldn't need to be tested, and vice versa? Do earnings/potential earnings count for or against applications or do you just have to prove you can support yourself for the transition period?

Reason being, because of my job I earn a fair chunk more than she does, but because I was 40 this year I'm just below the 60 point requirement whereas she's under 40 so comes in at 65 points without any family nomination.

A non-visa question - how does credit scoring work in respect to getting a mortgage? If I have a good rating in the UK does that get transferred so-to-speak or do you start from scratch?

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 4, 2019 6:56 pm
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member Admin

Hi mate.

Correct. No need to test the secondary application unless you were applying for a visa type where the skills of the secondary might also generate additional points.

Earning potential has little to do with how likely your application will successful. Doctors are processed in the same way as bricklayers. It's all about having a skill in demand and plugging a gap.

Keep in mind that as a new Australian Resident you still can't apply for certain state benefits (eg unemployment benefits) until you have been in the country for a couple of years so you'll need to have a sufficient financial cushion to give you time to get settled and find a job.

On the credit front. In general terms you are very much starting from scratch though references from your bank for example can sometimes be useful when trying to secure rentals here in Australia. 

When we arrived, we paid a number of months rent in advance to demonstrate that we had the cash available to pay.

Hope that helps mate.

Mark

Community Manager
Getting Down Under

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 7, 2019 12:07 pm
(@andym)
Active Member Registered

Interesting...

We're quite fortunate in that we've got a good amount we can release on selling the house here, along with the car and a few other bits and pieces which in theory would cover us for a couple of years (though in reality that would be part of the deposit on a mortgage down the line) so hopefully that would set us in good stead with a rental. I was more concerned on things like a car loan, needing a decent credit score to get simple things like mobile contracts etc (unless it's different over there, I've known people in the UK unable to get a phone contract or pay car insurance monthly due to bad credit).

Thanks for all the help so far, it's been really helpful!

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 8, 2019 9:54 pm
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member Admin

I think many of the expats tend to purchase cars outright when they first arrive mate (even if it's just a cheap runaround). For car loans, the finance company would probably be looking for something from your employer (eg. Evidence of full-time employment being paid a salary of $x).

I never had an issue getting a contract for mobile although we were probably here in Australia for nearly a year by the time I got around to taking out a plan. 

When we first arrived we picked up a cheap handset and a "pay as you go" sim card to see us through the first few months. You can pick these up from service stations and most supermarkets for less than $100.

Glad I could help Andy. If you have any further questions, please start with a new thread. This helps others find answers to similar questions when searching our forums. 👍 🤓 

All the best

Mark 

Community Manager
Getting Down Under

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 9, 2019 10:54 am
Share:
Scroll to Top

Please Login or Register