Share:

Fitness Coach in Australia?  

RSS
 VitS
(@vits)
New Member Registered

Hello! First let me thank you Mark for making this website for I am sure it has helped with and guided many people through the complicated process of applying for visa in Australia.

I spent 2 months in Australia and I am now strongly considering moving there in the horizon of maybe 3 years but as the evaluation process seems very complicated, I wanted to ask the community to help me find out if I even stand a chance and help me clarify whether the information I found doing my individual research is correct or not.

My facts are:

Nationality: I come from the Czech Republic in Central Europe

Age: 28, so 31-32 at the time I'd be moving there. I read that should give me the most points possible.

English level: superior, I have a masters degree from English linguistics and literature, but I still might to pass some language tests?

Profession: I am a personal trainer in fitness specializing in Calisthenics (bodyweight workout). I think that should qualify as a "Other Sports Coach or Instructor" in STSOL (Short term skills occupation list), however I am not sure what the "short term" means in this case and if having an occupation on this list qualifies for permanent work visa.

Experience and qualification: At the moment I have been training people for 18 months, so I should reach 3 years experience before moving to Australia. I am certified as a personal trainer in fitness by Czech Ministry of Education and I have passed the PCC - Progressive Calisthenics Coach Certification program. After having done some research I think I will need to re-do the similar course in Australia for I am not sure they would recognize the one I did in Czech Republic (although the standards to pass should be similar enough).

Other facts: I have a big family in Australia and I know they would be willing to sponsor me if I moved there. I am not sure if this fact can add some evaluation points as the answers I found doing my research were not consistent. Specifically the family is my grandmother's brother (my great uncle) and his wife and children.

I did not study or work in Australia before.

Thanks everyone for reading and any advice you can give me.

Vit

Posted : November 5, 2019 11:25 pm
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member Admin

Hi Vit and Welcome to our community. That's a pretty long post so let me try my best to help you where I can. 🙂 Where you see red text, these are links which will take you to other articles and posts of interest. 

Posted by: @vits

Age: 28, so 31-32 at the time I'd be moving there. I read that should give me the most points possible.

Correct, as per the current Australian points calculator, 25 - 33 is the sweet spot 

English level: superior, I have a masters degree from English linguistics and literature, but I still might to pass some language tests?

If you have Superior English, this may help you qualify for an extra 20 points! You will need to take an IELTS test or similar to validate this. This article here may be of help.

IELTS Score For Australia – A Definitive Guide

Profession: I am a personal trainer in fitness specializing in Calisthenics (bodyweight workout). I think that should qualify as a "Other Sports Coach or Instructor" in STSOL (Short term skills occupation list), however I am not sure what the "short term" means in this case and if having an occupation on this list qualifies for permanent work visa.

There are a number of Australia Occupations Lists (read about these here) The short term list is often referred to as the STSOL or the Short Term Skilled Occupations List. By its very definition, occupations on the STSOL qualify for a short term visa only, with that said, there could be potential paths to PR if you are nominated by a state or territory government to apply under an occupation listed on the STSOL.

Keep in mind that the occupations lists are also updated periodically so by the time you apply, things may well have changed.

Experience and qualification: At the moment I have been training people for 18 months, so I should reach 3 years experience before moving to Australia. I am certified as a personal trainer in fitness by Czech Ministry of Education and I have passed the PCC - Progressive Calisthenics Coach Certification program. After having done some research I think I will need to re-do the similar course in Australia for I am not sure they would recognize the one I did in Czech Republic (although the standards to pass should be similar enough).

Not my area of expertise, unfortunately, Vit though the skills assessment body for the occupation will be able to confirm this for sure. 

Other facts: I have a big family in Australia and I know they would be willing to sponsor me if I moved there. I am not sure if this fact can add some evaluation points as the answers I found doing my research were not consistent. Specifically the family is my grandmother's brother (my great uncle) and his wife and children.

Family members can sponsor but the benefits really depend on the type of visa you'd be looking to apply for (and in some instances the area where they live). It really comes down to if you need the points in some instances. Reading what you have provided below. It sounds like you should have a great starting position, points-wise.

Hope this helps 😊 

All the best

Mark

Community Manager
Getting Down Under

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 7, 2019 1:03 pm
 VitS
(@vits)
New Member Registered

@mark

Thank you for your answers!

When it comes to profession, is there some official body I can directly ask for advice?

It would be a shame moving in for 2-3 years and then having to leave.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 7, 2019 4:15 pm
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member Admin

Hi @vits, VETASSESS is the assessment authority for a sports coach. We list all the website details for the assessment authorities here. You should be able to find contact details via their website :) 

If you could share any response you get that would be very much appreciated. We get a lot of people from google hitting our forums seeking answers to the questions people ask here so if you can share your answer/knowledge as you build it this will help future applicants.

Cheers

Mark 

Community Manager
Getting Down Under

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 7, 2019 4:22 pm
Share:
Scroll to Top

Please Login or Register