Is PTE/IELTS competency required before applying for sponsored visa ?
I've been looking it up and most of the time it just shows that you need competent levels of english,
But I am unsure whether or not it is required upfront or i could just take a PTE/IELTS exam if a company is interested in sponsoring me.
Any inputs are welcome !
Hi Cedric and welcome to our community 🖐️
Good question and yes IELTS is required. (official answer here: https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/temporary-skill-shortage-482/sufficient-english )
There is some exemption (see below).
- you are a passport holder from:
- New Zealand
- the Republic of Ireland
- the United Kingdom
- the United States of America
- you have completed at least 5 years of full-time study in at least a secondary level institution and where most classes were in English. We need the following information:
- name and location of the institution/s
- level of qualification/s
- official transcript from the secondary and/or tertiary institution
- number of contact hours per week in English
- number of years of study
- your nominated occupation in Australia will be performed at:
- diplomatic or consular mission of another country
- an Office of the Authorities of Taiwan
- your nominated occupation requires you:
- to hold a licence, registration or membership
- you were granted the licence, registration, or membership
- you had to prove that you had equal or higher English language proficiency than that listed in the table below to be granted the licence, registration or membership
- you are:
- an employee of an overseas business
- the business or its associated entity has nominated you to work in Australia
- you will receive a guaranteed annual earnings of at least AUD96,400
If you don't meet these then you will need to take an exam. You can either choose to take one upfront (IELTS results are valid for three years) or take the exam as part of your onboarding process with your employer. Hope this helps.