Notifications
Clear all

Looking for advice  

RSS
Tyla Martin
(@tyla-martin)
New Member Registered

Hi,

I am a 22 year old female looking to move to Australia in the near future. I have baby twins and looking to relocate to potentially give them a better life and opportunities than what they would receive in the UK.

i have a degree in law with criminology and 2 years experience of working for a personal injury solicitor firm as a paralegal. Is there any advice you can give me on getting started, what visas I would need etc and anything else I should be aware of to make my dream become a reality.

Thank you!

Posted : September 21, 2020 6:50 pm
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member Admin

Welcome to getting down under Tyla! 😊 

OK, for starters you will need an occupation on one of the Australian Occupations Lists. We have the current lists available here.

From a legal background. the role Solicitor is on the Medium to long term occupations list which means if you were to apply under this occupation, you could apply for one of the visas that offer you PR, specifically the Visa called the Skilled Independent Visa (subclass 189). Official info on this visa class is here.

To see if you have the skills required to be recognised in Australia, you will need to meet the criteria as defined under ANZSCO 271311. ANZSCO is an acronym of the term; Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupationand you can find the description for solicitor here: Solicitor – ANZSCO 271311. To confirm you have the skills, your skills will need to be assessed by SLAA (a legal admissions authority of a State or Territory)

In addition. The Australian Skilled Visas are points assessed which means you need to have a certain number of points to be considered for immigration. Currently, you will need at least 65 points however, the more points you have the further up the 'queue' you will be so the sooner you you will receive an invitation. You can calculate your points using our points calculator here: Australian Points Calculator 2020

When I say queue, this stems from the Expression Of Interest (EOI) process that supports Australia Migration. An EOI need to be lodged and if you meet the necessary criteria (and the stars align it would sometimes seem), you will be invited to apply for an Australian Visa.

Processing tomes for the 189 Visa is currently 9 - 12 months so it's not a short process unfortunatly.

Hope this helps for starters. Please feel free to ask any additional questions once you have done some reading.

All the best

Mark

Community Manager
Getting Down Under

Useful Links

Looking for a Sponsored Job? Click Here

Sponsored Job Database: Click Here

Set up Job Alerts: Click Here

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 22, 2020 8:55 am
Tyla Martin
(@tyla-martin)
New Member Registered

@mark Hi,

Thank you so much for getting back to me! 

Would my children be able to enter Australia with me as an addition on my visa?

Thanks! 

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 22, 2020 4:04 pm
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member Admin

Hi Tyla, of course, they would be classified as your dependents for migration purposes. 😊 

Community Manager
Getting Down Under

Useful Links

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 22, 2020 5:31 pm
Tyla Martin
(@tyla-martin)
New Member Registered

Hi Mark,

hope you are well!

Just another quick question - are there any other Visas I could apply for which would allowed my partner and children to travel with me? 

Thank you!

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 24, 2020 2:57 am
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member Admin

Hi @tyla-martin, the majority of visa classes will, omce granted, enable you to travel to Australia with your dependents as long as you include them as dependents as part of your visa application process.

You can add them later however there are added complexities and costs associated with doing that so it's generally better to include them as part of your initial application process 👍😊

Community Manager
Getting Down Under

Useful Links

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 24, 2020 1:33 pm
Share: