Notifications
Clear all

Single young person looking to get out to Oz  

RSS
Community - c7005d189e61d37706bd525120742b84?s=110&d=mm&r=g
(@terriap)
New Member Registered

Hi Mark,

I have come across your site today for the first time. I have made my mind up 100% that I want to apply to get myself to Oz as soon as possible. Please continue to read for my background, I am a single young person (26) from the UK. I am currently an Assistant Project Manager for a utilities company, I believe I am classed as an essential worker in Oz, but in terms of Visa classes I am still unsure and I find the information to be overwhelming. I am not a qualified Project Manager so do not have the PRINCE2 etc, I just worked my way up the ladder at work, not sure if this matters or not when looking for jobs in Oz. 

I have looked up sponsorships quite a lot, hence finding your website today. I was previously set on applying for the working holiday visa, however I am conscious that when borders open everything is just going to go mad. After reading something on your page today I can now understand they have a cap to Visas. In regards to everything I have mentioned, my questions at the moment are as follows: when they open Visa applications again, which ones will they open up first? Will the working holiday visa be capped at a certain amount of people? What can I do to ensure I am ready for when the window opens? Due to my role as an Assistant Project Manager, are there any other visas I could apply for that would give me a good chance of getting in? Can I only apply for Visa at a time? Or can I apply for 2 to maximise my chances? If I applied for a job that offered sponsorship could I get out to Oz in the current climate? What can I do to prepare and what visas should I be applying for for wanting to work in Oz? Thank you sooo much for taking the time to read all of this, and thank you so much for your advice. Much obliged, Terri 

Posted : October 13, 2020 9:02 pm
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member Admin

Hey there @terriap and welcome to GDU 🖐️ 

There is a lot of info here so I'll try and cover off as much as I can. Red text = a link to other resources/pages. 

Firstly, when you say you are a project manager. Can you better describe what type of project manager you are? There are a couple of project management roles on the current 'skills in demand list' an ICT project manager and a Construction Project manager. There is also a program or project administrator role.

The links I have included take you to the ANZSCO job descriptions which detail the type of experience (and qualifications) you need to have recognised as having skills and capabilities in those roles. With regards to visa options. At the time of typing:

The construction project manager would qualify for the majority of skilled visa options as it appears on the MLTSSl list. You can view the majority of skilled visas here

The ICT Project manager is only on the Short Term Skilled Occupations List which means it will qualify for a number of short term Sponsored visas such as the 482 Visa however you will struggle to get a permanent visa under this occupation. 

The Program or project admin roles also only sits on the STSOL, so this may also not be what you are looking for if you are looking to obtain a visa with any level of permanency.

Posted by: @terriap

In regards to everything I have mentioned, my questions at the moment are as follows: when they open Visa applications again, which ones will they open up first? Will the working holiday visa be capped at a certain amount of people?

There are two types of working holiday visas the Working holiday visa (subclass 417) and the Working Holiday Maker Program (Subclass 462) (We cover the differences in this article. There is no cap on the 417 visas currently. The 462 Visa currently has a cap though as a UK passport holder, this is not an option for you (see here for more detail). 

With regards to when and which visas will open first. It isn't easy to say. The majority of visas are open at the moment, and you can register an EOI if you want to apply for one of the skilled visas such as the 189 visa however these roles are being prioritised at the moment (which includes the construction project manager role). 

What can I do to ensure I am ready for when the window opens?

Keep an eye on our news pages as will provide any updates there. If you are considering the 189 Visa path, take a points test (you need at least 65 points but the more, the better). Make sure you have registered your EOI and completed your skills assessment. 

Can I only apply for Visa at a time?

You can register multiple EOI's, and you can include in your EOI if you wish to be considered under the state sponsorship option as part of your application (more on this here).

If I applied for a job that offered sponsorship could I get out to Oz in the current climate?

Depends on the role but we are seeing sponsored candidates entering Australia (though you will need to quarantine in a hotel for two weeks before you commence work).

What can I do to prepare and what visas should I be applying for

I've provided LOTS of reading in the links above but in short.

• Make sure you have enough points
  • Have your skills assessed
  • Register an EOI.

If going the sponsored route - Set up a job alert for project manager so we can email you when pm roles become available. Instructions on how to do this here

Hope this helps (rather than confuse). Let me know if you have any further questions.

Cheers

Mark 

Community Manager
Getting Down Under

Useful Links

Looking for a Sponsored Job? Click Here

Sponsored Job Database: Click Here

Set up Job Alerts: Click Here

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 14, 2020 5:00 pm
Share: