Share:

Visa 491 - Family sponsorship - QLD - Clinical Coder  

RSS
(@yvandib)
Active Member Registered

Hello Mark,

Hope you can shed some light as all the information online is just so overwhelming. My husband and I are in the process of actively trying to get to Australia. 

At first we were considering TSS (I am a clinical coder which is on the ROL) but my sister is a citizen and we are now comparing the TSS to the new 491 visa.

With the TSS visa I would need to find a job first and clinical coding is so specialized, that there are not that many jobs. Chances of employing a foreigner is not that good. I also would need to do a few australian coding courses which would cost me $3500 AUD, before I would even be considered for a job.

With the 491 visa, I would need to get a(n) expensive skills assessment through Vetassess (which I dont require for above option) but then I would not need to fork out the cost of the course, as I would be getting in on my clinical coding experience but would not necessarily end up doing that.

My questions are - which one of the above options do you think is better and why?

I know processing times for the 491 is longer, but may be prioritized because I am family sponsored? 

If I am family sponsored, how long do you think I am likely to wait for an invitation to apply after submitting an EOI? I could also go the route of state nominated but I think that family sponsorship is the better way to go.

My sister does live in a regional area, and so will we.

Any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I am 35, and from South Africa. Been in Australia six times on visitors visas to see my family, the longest stay was 4 months. I have never had any problems with my visitors visas.

Thanks so much!

Posted : November 18, 2019 6:33 pm
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member Admin

Hi there @yvandib and welcome 😊 

Posted by: @yvandib

My questions are - which one of the above options do you think is better and why?

My initial thoughts (based on the circumstances you describe) are that the 491 is better.

The primary reason I say this is around the different dependencies for each visa type.

With the 491 Visa, you are reliant on a relative sponsoring you.

On the TSS/482 Visa you are reliant on:

1. An employer looking for someone with your niche skillset in a regional area.

2. The same employer not being able to fill the role locally after advertising for 30 days.

3. Competing against other candidates for the role if they offer the role with 482 sponsorship (and given you mention that you may not have all of the qualifications you're at a potential disadvantage).

Sure the 491 visas may take longer but at least you can start the process sooner by going through the relative sponsorship route. The route to PR is also a little more certain if you're willing to live in a regional area for long enough.

I share all this advice with the caveat that I'm not a qualified migration agent so if you're not clear, seek some proper advice from someone qualified to give it.

Based on my loose logic, however, that's the route I'd take personally if I was in your situation.

Does this help?

Cheers

Mark 

Community Manager
Getting Down Under

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 18, 2019 10:35 pm
(@yvandib)
Active Member Registered

@mark

Thank you so much! So helpful. I am browsing the rest of your site now for some tips.

Can you advise how long it would usually take based on previous cases to receive an invitation for a family sponsored visa?

Also, would my Skills assessment with Vetasses be completed first as well as my English test before I submit an EOI? 

Do invitations get released monthly?

For a general occupation, do you know what the application form for Vetassess might look like and what information they may require?

And based on the previous 489 visa, how long would a family sponsored visa application usually take?

If one gets to the point of actually applying after skills assessment, english test and application fees, what is the likelihood that a visa application would be declined?

Thank you so much for such an informative site Mark!

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 18, 2019 11:15 pm
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member Admin

Hi @yvandib

Can you advise how long it would usually take based on previous cases to receive an invitation for a family sponsored visa?

It's difficult to say with the 491 visas being so new; there is no historical data to use as a reference point. With that said, the 489 visa (that the 491 visa replaces) has processing times. Based on the last invitation rounds, 75% were processed within nine months and 90% within eleven months.

Also, would my Skills assessment with Vetasses be completed first as well as my English test before I submit an EOI? 

Yes

Do invitations get released monthly?

Yep!

For a general occupation, do you know what the application form for Vetassess might look like and what information they may require?

I'm afraid not as I haven't completed a Vetassess application. I would have a look here for starters: 

https://www.vetassess.com.au/skills-assessment-for-migration/professional-occupations/apply-or-track-application

And based on the previous 489 visa, how long would a family sponsored visa application usually take?

As above 😊

If one gets to the point of actually applying after skills assessment, english test and application fees, what is the likelihood that a visa application would be declined?

This is one I can't answer, unfortunately as it's very much dependent on the application. If you are invited to apply in the first place, then you'll have the opportunity to address any significant dramas (or missing info) as part of the application processing process.

Hope this helps

Mark 

Community Manager
Getting Down Under

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 19, 2019 9:39 pm
Share:
Scroll to Top

Please Login or Register