Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Visa confusion & advice  

RSS
(@elliejoyce)
New Member Registered

Hi!

My boyfriend and I are in need or some advice regarding visas for moving to Perth, Australia. In brief we applied and were successful for a working holiday visa in 2018 and moved to Perth for 7 months starting October 2018. We are now back in the UK and wanting to go back on more of a full term basis. We were unable to return before our first year working holiday expired (It expired October 2019) so were not eligible to qualify for the second year extension.

My partner is a qualified chef with 8 years experience which I believe is currently on the trade list for Australia so hoping this will be in our favour.

Regarding myself I have a degree in hospitality & tourism management and have lots of customer service experience but unsure whether my trade is amongst the recognised list. Would it be possible for me to get a visa as a result of my boyfriend’s skill?

Any advice on which type of visa would suit our situation would be gratefully appreciated as currently feeling like it’s a mindfield.

Thank you in advance,
Ellie & Kieran

Posted : January 18, 2020 9:40 pm
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member Admin

Hi Ellie and Kieran 🖐️ 

Chef is indeed on the current MLTSSLwhich means that your boyfriend would be able to qualify for Australian PR (if he meets all of the criteria required).

You may be able to join your boyfriend as a de facto partner, assuming you have been together long enough and can provide evidence of your relationship. See this article for more on this subject.

https://gettingdownunder.com/australian-de-facto-visa-relationship-proof/

The first step for your boyfriend will be to see how many points he qualifies for.  You can calculate your points using the guide available here: Australian Visa Points Calculator

If your boyfriend qualifies for over 65 points, then he can register his interest with the Australian Government for An Australian Visa. Note competition is high at the moment so it is likely more points will be required to receive a skilled independent Visa invitation (also known as the 189 visas).

The alternative is the sponsored visa (referred to as the 482 visas).  The 482 Visa presents the opportunity to live and work in Australia for a period of 2 – 4 years (with an eventual pathway to PR if your job is on the right list). This visa is offered by employees looking to employ overseas candidates. You can view the current lists of sponsored jobs available here: Australia Sponsored Jobs.

There are a few Chef roles currently available. 😊 

I hope this helps for starters, please let me know if you have any additional questions

All the best

Mark

Community Manager
Getting Down Under

Useful Links

Sponsored Job Database: Click Here

Set up Job Alerts: Click Here

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 21, 2020 9:59 am
(@elliejoyce)
New Member Registered

Hi Mark,

Thank you so much for your advice that is so clear and helpful.

Following on from that a few questions have arisen:

1. If my boyfriend is to apply for the 189visa do I have to wait for that to be accepted before I apply for the defacto visa? Or can I add myself on to his visa application?

2. If he was to apply for the 189visa and get rejected does that affect him then looking for sponsorship as a secondary option?

3. Is it best to apply for the visa directly through the governement website or through an agent?

Thanks again,

Ellie & Kieran

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 21, 2020 7:45 pm
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member Admin

Hi Guys

Posted by: @elliejoyce

1. If my boyfriend is to apply for the 189visa do I have to wait for that to be accepted before I apply for the defacto visa? Or can I add myself on to his visa application?

No, my understanding is he can add you as a partner at the time of his 189 visa application. This will be a more efficient and much cheaper option than trying to bring you in as a de facto after he gets his 189 visa. 

2. If he was to apply for the 189visa and get rejected does that affect him then looking for sponsorship as a secondary option?

Unlikely unless he gets rejected for doing something dodgy such as providing false information etc. While applying for a 189, your boyfriend could continue to look for sponsorship opportunities in parallel.

3. Is it best to apply for the visa directly through the governement website or through an agent?

It really depends on how comfortable you are following instructions and how complex your case is. The Australian immigration website has improved vastly since I moved Downunder over 10 years ago. The following page, for example, provides step by step instructions on what you would need to do to apply for a 189 visa.

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/skilled-independent-189/points-tested#HowTo

Hope this helps

Mark 

Community Manager
Getting Down Under

Useful Links

Sponsored Job Database: Click Here

Set up Job Alerts: Click Here

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 23, 2020 2:39 pm
(@elliejoyce)
New Member Registered

Amazing thanks for the further infomation. One other thing it says on the immi website that "We will not refund the application charge if we refuse your application."

Im assuming this isnt the whole visa cost of Aud4,045 but would you know how much money you will not get back if our application is refused?

Thanks Ellie & Kieran

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 27, 2020 10:10 pm
(@elliejoyce)
New Member Registered

Sorry one more question I had:

The skills assement that we need to complete is it correct that we will be charged for this (Seen roughly $1000aud) and does that need to be completed before or after we submit our interest for the visa invitation?

Thanks again

Ellie & Kieran

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 5, 2020 7:02 pm
Share:
Scroll to Top