Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Want to emigrate permanently, searching for work!  

RSS
(@bogle88)
New Member Registered

Hi,
I am trying to find the best way to move to Australia permanently. I am almost 27, married with a 5 month old daughter. I am a qualified plumber and I am also a qualified aircraft mechanic. 

My trades are on the skills list but I am struggling to find jobs online that will sponsor people from abroad. 

If anyone has any tips or contacts to someone that might be able to help out in the search for employment I would be really grateful.

Plus if anyone has any info on what alternatives steps I could/should be taking other than searching the internet for jobs I would be happy to hear from you.

Many thanks,
Alan.

Posted : April 1, 2020 5:48 pm
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member Admin

Welcome Alan, it's good to have you onboard mate 👍 

Safe to say the wonders of COVID-19 have really reduced the number of sponsored jobs being advertised. 

We have seen a number of plumbing jobs advertised so I would recommend you set a job alert so we can email you when an appropriate opportunity gets posted on our job boards. Instructions on how to do this can be found here: https://gettingdownunder.com/job-alerts-now-available/  

With regards to other ways to migrate, as your job is on the MLTSSLyou could apply independently of having a sponsor if you qualify for sufficient points. 

We have a points calculator you can use as a guide here. How many points do you currently qualify for?

All the best

Mark

Community Manager
Getting Down Under

Useful Links

Sponsored Job Database: Click Here

Set up Job Alerts: Click Here

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 2, 2020 9:58 am
Bogle88 liked
(@bogle88)
New Member Registered

@mark

Hey, thanks for your reply,
I have signed up for the job alerts and I worked out based on the points system I score 75? 

Like you say...Due to corona virus this is rubbish time to search for employment but I am keeping fingers crossed I can make it happen as soon as possible. 

I have applied for a lot of jobs this morning directly with a cover letter explaining I need sponsorship but I rarely get any response having done this a lot over the past year. 

Many thanks.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 2, 2020 4:34 pm
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member Admin

@bogle88 75 points is a reasonable score so I would certainly consider applying directly so you aren't so reliant on a sponsor. There may be other ways to increase your score further (by having a higher English language testing score as an example). 

Keep in mind that Aussie employers need to have advertised a job locally for at least 30 days before they can seek a candidate from overseas to fill the roles. Unless they are specifically calling out in their ads that they are willing to offer sponsorship, you will certainly struggle to find sponsorship opportunities following that path. 

All the best

Mark 

Community Manager
Getting Down Under

Useful Links

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 3, 2020 1:55 pm
(@bogle88)
New Member Registered

@mark
Do you know what visa I should be looking at applying for? I get so confused reading all the different visas and which one fits my circumstances etc. 
If you know the exact visa I should look in to that would be really helpful. 
I am English...would I still need to sit an English test to increase points?
Thanks again!
Alan.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 3, 2020 4:26 pm
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member Admin

Hi @bogle88

The visa type you might be interested in (where no sponsor is required) is called the Skilled Independent Visa (subclass 189).

The official Australian Migration Page for this visa type can be found here

Have a read and let me know if you have any questions. The Aussie migration website has improved in recent years and the step-by-step guides should hopefully provide a decent enough overview of the process.

All the best

Mark 

Community Manager
Getting Down Under

Useful Links

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 6, 2020 9:45 am
Share:
Scroll to Top