Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Want to join my family in Australia, not sure how to go about it.  

RSS
(@laurenandrey)
New Member Registered

Hi there, 

To preface this, I was born in Canada as was my birthmother. My birthmother placed me for adoption and then moved to Australia a few years after I was born, marrying an Australian man and then eventually becoming a citizen (as did my half brothers). We reunited a few years ago and the first visit was only two weeks long. The second time I visited, I went for three months and got the work visa "just in case" I ended up working. I am kicking myself now because I did not work at all and now I can't get the second or third visa.

I have extensively looked into what visas I could get but I feel really stuck and lost. I have considered the skilled worker visa (my specialty area would be media and media technology) but I only have the bare minimum 65 points and know that this wouldn't count for much as most people that get invited have around 90 points.

Family visa seems like such an easy solution, but it isn't because I am not financially dependant on my birthmom. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Lauren R

Posted : March 4, 2020 10:07 am
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member Admin

Welcome, Lauren.  🖐️ Sorry for the delay. Do you have any other relatives outside of Australia? Also, when you said you applied for a work visa just in case. What visa was it specifically?

Cheers

Mark

Community Manager
Getting Down Under

Useful Links

Sponsored Job Database: Click Here

Set up Job Alerts: Click Here

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 11, 2020 3:29 pm
(@laurenandrey)
New Member Registered

@mark Hi Mark,

No worries. I do have other relatives in Canada unfortunately. I have looked at remaining relative visa. Do they make any exceptions?

I got the working holiday 417 visa. I was in the country for less than 88 days. I would love to get this revoked somehow if that was possible.

Thanks,

Lauren

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 11, 2020 11:29 pm
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member Admin
Posted by: @laurenandrey

No worries. I do have other relatives in Canada unfortunately. I have looked at remaining relative visa. Do they make any exceptions?

I think this will be highly unlikely I'm afraid Lauren. They are pretty strict on this type of things.

I got the working holiday 417 visa. I was in the country for less than 88 days. I would love to get this revoked somehow if that was possible.

I don't think this would be possible but I'm not 100% certain. This one may be a question for the Australian Migration Department. Check out the contact options at the bottom of the page here: https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/help-support/contact-us  

Where in Australia does your family live? You may qualify for additional points if they live in an area considered regional Australia and they sponsor you. I see Multimedia Designer is on the Regional Occupations List so this may be a potential option for you.

More detail on what is classified as regional Australia can be found int the article here: The Definitive Guide To What Is Considered Regional Australia

All the best

Mark 

Community Manager
Getting Down Under

Useful Links

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 12, 2020 2:57 pm
(@laurenandrey)
New Member Registered

@mark Thanks again for your reply.

My family lives within the codes 2315 (my mom), 2204 and 2322 (my brothers). Looks like my mom is in regional area.

I would apply for Multimedia Designer out of all the options on that list. However I know that although 65 points are the minimum, it is more like 90 points to be invited to apply. I am a bit off 95. How disheartening. I just want to join my family :( 

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 12, 2020 3:10 pm
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member Admin

@mark Thanks again for your reply.

My family lives within the codes 2315 (my mom), 2204 and 2322 (my brothers). Looks like my mom is in regional area.

I would apply for Multimedia Designer out of all the options on that list. However I know that although 65 points are the minimum, it is more like 90 points to be invited to apply. I am a bit off 95. How disheartening. I just want to join my family :( 

I appreciate that the point requirements right now really suck, however I would register an EOI anyway (better to be registered than not). 

Circumstances/point requirements change (it was 85 points 12 months ago). Also, your written English is very good. If you can pass a mark high enough to be classified as having Superior English in the IELTS exam, this could get you an extra 20 points!!

More info here: https://gettingdownunder.com/ielts-score-australia/

Community Manager
Getting Down Under

Useful Links

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 16, 2020 10:26 am
Share:
Scroll to Top