[Solved] When to submit EOI - Secondary school teacher, 189 visa
Hi everyone, I was hoping someone might be able to help me out a little.
I am in the (long, drawn-out) process of gathering all of my and my partner's documentation to apply for PR (189 or 190).
I am a secondary school teacher, my partner is a journalist. I have had my qualifications approved and had my work experience verified, I am 38 (very nearly 39) and have proficient English (7.5 on the ielts writing grrr!). All in all at present I have 70 points if I lodge my EOI now and state that I am single rather than in a de facto relationship (with the view of organizing a partner visa once I have the PR, I'm not sure if this is a terrible idea or not). My partner is waiting on her assessment from vetassess (submitted at the beginning of October) and was extremely close to getting the English requirement in the ielts (5.5 in the writing GRRRRR!)
I was hoping to be nominated and get the extra 5 points that way but it seems that I didn't keep up with the changes that took place last year with the extra eligibility requirements that were put in place (teachers taken off state lists and onshore residency requirements introduced). That was a bit of a revelation for me though so if anyone knows more about 190 nominations and perhaps can offer some light at the end of the tunnel I would love to hear from them!
I also speak Spanish and will take the CCL test but the next available date is in March (I only just found out that the wait for these tests is so long, I really wish they published that info more prominently as I was hoping to get the test within a few days).
My fundamental question is should I submit an EOI now, speculatively, knowing that I probably have a cat in hell's chance of getting an invitation. On the face of it the answer would clearly be to wait but the kicker is that I turn 39 at the end of Feb. If I wait until perhaps the end of March (once I receive my CCL) I will only have 11 months before I turn 40 and lose 10 points.
so tl;dr EOI now with 70 points then resubmit later if my points increase (giving me 14 months to get an invite but omitting my partner from the EOI) or wait until April and potentially have 85 points and my partner included but only 11 months for the invite.
I am aware that 85 points isn't exactly a high score these days but hey, i have come this far.
Any help on this would be very much appreciated!
Hi Ben and welcome mate! 😀
The short answer is yes, I would submit your EOI now. Your EOI is valid for 2 years and you can update your EOI in SkillSelect should your circumstances change or you scored higher points (because of higher qualification, improved work experience, passing a higher level English test) etc.
Given you have completed your skills assessments, you have nothing to lose by having your interest registered. Also, how was your score on the other IELTS areas. Would getting IELTS 8 be out of the question if you retook the test. Superior English will give you 20 points! More info here:
Hello Mark, thanks for the quick reply!
Yea I was only 0.5 off the writing with the ielts (8.5, 8.5 and 9 for the other bands) and have a reasonable idea of where I went wrong. I have another test booked for early feb so fingers crossed. I submitted my EOI yesterday including both the 189 and 190 visa with 75 and 80 points respectively. All being well by April I will have 15 more points, my partner will have her documents and things will have calmed down a little with invitations going back to normal.
Hi Ben, that sounds like a logical approach mate - Best of luck and please keep in touch. It's always great to hear how our members get on through the process. 🍻 👍