Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Which VISA?  

RSS
Community - migrate to australia
(@andrew-boulle)
Active Member Registered

Hello. We are a family of 6 (4 kids). My husband and I both qualify with over 60 points. My husband is a qualified secondary school teacher and has been the Head of an independent international school for the past 7 years.

I am also a teacher with skills as a PA too. Both of us have siblings, uncles and cousins in OZ. A family member is able to sponsor my husband for a job in the wine making industry but we aren't sure if this is the best option for us visa wise.

Ultimately, my husband would like to remain in his field of work. Could you advise on what visa options are available for us and what sponsorship would entail as well? Many thanks.

Claire

Posted : August 8, 2020 7:16 pm
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member Admin

Hi Claire and welcome 🖐️ 😊 

When you say you have over 60 points, how many points are we talking? (current points calculator here if you need one) .

Teaching roles are on the occupations lists for both shprt terms and long term (permenant) visa options which is a god starting point so the 189 Perminant Skilled Independent Visa will be an option for you.

Offical link for this visa type is here: https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/skilled-independent-189

If you are low on points (you qualify but you may need extra points to apply) then some of the sponsored visa options may be preferable.

I wrote quite a long post at the following link which provides more info about a sponsored visa

https://gettingdownunder.com/community/australian-sponsored-482-visa/i-am-a-insert-job-title-looking-for-sponsorship/

Perhaps have a read of that post and if you have any clarification questions, please feel free to post back and I'll be happy to help where I can.

All the best

Mark

Community Manager
Getting Down Under

Useful Links

Looking for a Sponsored Job? Click Here

Sponsored Job Database: Click Here

Set up Job Alerts: Click Here

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 9, 2020 4:50 pm
(@andrew-boulle)
Active Member Registered

Thanks Mark.

My husband has 70 points and I have 65. We were told by an Australian recruitment agency that schools dont often sponsor. So VISA 189 is our best bet? And we should use a MARA certified agent to do it for us?

I tried to submit an EOI online but it wouldn't allow me as it said I needed to submit a Skills assessment?

Thanks 

Claire

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 9, 2020 6:28 pm
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member Admin
Posted by: @andrew-boulle

We were told by an Australian recruitment agency that schools dont often sponsor. So VISA 189 is our best bet?

This is quite true although we have a few teaching jobs listed at the moment in our database although they tend to be 'early childhood' teaching roles.

The 189 Visa is always the preferred path as you are not reliant on being sponsored, however, the number of points becomes more key as recent invitation rounds would suggest that you would need at least 90 points to receive an invitation to apply after registering your EOI.

we should use a MARA certified agent to do it for us?

Using a MARA agent is entirely up to you. The Australian migration website sets out the process step-by-step (see here for the steps). If you are good at following instructions then it's very doable (my family and I applied ourselves) though if you prefer (and have the finances). Using an agent may be preferable. See this post on how to find a MARA agent if this is a path you want to follow.

I tried to submit an EOI online but it wouldn't allow me as it said I needed to submit a Skills assessment?

You must have a suitable skills assessment at the time you register your EOI. 

To be eligible for a visa your skills assessment must have been obtained within the 3 years before the date of invitation. 

I hope this helps.

All the best

Mark 

Community Manager
Getting Down Under

Useful Links

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 10, 2020 10:34 am
(@andrew-boulle)
Active Member Registered

Thanks so much.

So to be clear, we cant get the 189 visa without 90 points? How do we come without an invitation?

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 10, 2020 1:58 pm
(@andrew-boulle)
Active Member Registered

Also, my brother lives in Victoria and can sponsor my husband to work on his farm. Does this mean he will have to work there for 2-3 years?

Thanks 

Claire

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 10, 2020 2:05 pm
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member Admin

Thanks so much.

So to be clear, we cant get the 189 visa without 90 points? How do we come without an invitation?

Hi Claire, at time of typing i think it will be difficult. If you look at the last time (pre-COVID kicking off) invitation round, you will see the average points people needed to get an invitation:

https://gettingdownunder.com/skillselect-invitation-rounds-april-2020/

65 points still qualify for consideration, however anyone who has more points than you will be invited first and in recent times, these people have been applying with 90 points + 

We wrote an article a while ago to try and better explain how invitations work: https://gettingdownunder.com/chances-getting-australian-visa/

Also, my brother lives in Victoria and can sponsor my husband to work on his farm. Does this mean he will have to work there for 2-3 years?

This is likely. the 491 Regional Sponsored Visa is the Visa that would apply to this scenario. Official information on this visa class including any restrictions can be found here:

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/skilled-work-regional-provisional-491/application#About

Apologies for all the links Claire! Preferable to share you links to official resources rather than trying to replicate all the information here!

All the best

Mark  

Community Manager
Getting Down Under

Useful Links

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 11, 2020 11:52 am
(@andrew-boulle)
Active Member Registered

Thanks so much.

I read the links.  It's not clear if there is a restriction on skills. For example, my husband is in Education and my brother is in farming. If my brother sponsors us, does the trade have to be the same?

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 11, 2020 2:57 pm
(@andrew-boulle)
Active Member Registered

I think I understand now! Sorry...took a while!

So if my brother sponsors us (491 visa) we still have to go through the whole EOI and skills assessment process but we don't need 90 points (or do we still?). We would then have to work in Victoria, where he is, for a certain amount of years whilst applying for the PR visa? And this visa application process could take a year?

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 12, 2020 1:32 am
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member Admin

I think I understand now! Sorry...took a while!

So if my brother sponsors us (491 visa) we still have to go through the whole EOI and skills assessment process but we don't need 90 points (or do we still?). We would then have to work in Victoria, where he is, for a certain amount of years whilst applying for the PR visa? And this visa application process could take a year?

Sorry for the delay Claire.

Yep you've basically got it. The number of points you have will still influence how soon you receive an invitation. Having said that, one of the attractions of this visa is that you can get an extra 15 points by being sponsored (see the 'nomination or sponsorship' section towards the bottom of this page re the extra points for sponsorship). 

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/skilled-work-regional-provisional-491/points-table

Your English is clearly good so I assume you are from an English speaking country?

An other option to gain additional points may also be via the completion of an IELTS exam. If you are considered as having superior English you could qualify for an extra 20 points. Yet another link on this subject here: https://gettingdownunder.com/ielts-score-australia/

At the end of the day, the more points the higher the likelihood you will receive an invitation and the sooner you will get it. 

Hope this helps

Cheers

Mark

Community Manager
Getting Down Under

Useful Links

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 12, 2020 9:04 pm