Collects consumer, commercial, insurance and other forms of debt for clients, makes arrangements to settle overdue accounts, formalises payment arrangements and follows up until accounts are fully paid. Registration or licensing may be required.
- Skill Level
- Alternative Titles
- Debt Recovery Officer
- Mercantile Agent (Aus)
- Collection Agent
- Collection Officer
- Repossession Agent
- Skills Assessment Authority
- No caveats apply to this occupation.
Group: 5993 Debt Collectors
collect consumer, commercial, insurance and other forms of debt for clients, make arrangements to settle overdue accounts, formalise payment arrangements and follow up until accounts are fully paid.
- liaising with clients, credit staff, accounts receivable departments, process servers, Private Investigators, Barristers and Solicitors to find solutions to payment problems
- identifying, locating and notifying debtors of overdue accounts in writing, by telephoning and in person, and arranging for payments to be made
- tracing addresses of debtors who have moved
- arranging new repayment plans for debtors having difficulties making existing repayments
- referring debtors’ disputes to creditors
- issuing instructions for the commencement of legal action and enforcement to recover money
- arranging for money and goods collected to be transferred to creditors’ possession, and preparing statements of account for creditors
- recording amounts collected and noting any further action required
- complying with debt collection guidelines and relevant legislation
- Skill Level
At least one year of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
Registration or licensing may be required.
- Occupations in this Group
- 599311 Debt Collector
Looking to apply for an Australia Visa under the occupation of Debt Collector – ANZSCO 599311?
We’d love to hear from you. Let us know about your journey so far in our comments below!