Diagnoses and treats dental disease, injuries, decay and malformations of the teeth, periodontal tissue (gums), hard and soft tissue found on the mouth and other dento-facial structures using surgery and other techniques. Registration or licensing is required.
- Skill Level
- Alternative Titles
- Dental Practitioner
- Dental Surgeon
- Skills Assessment Authority
- Not eligible if:
TSS, ENS – The position is not located in regional Australia (within the meaning of subregulation 5.19(7) of the Regulations).
- Endorsed Correlations to ASCO Occupations
- 2381-11 Dentist
Group: 2523 Dental Practitioners
diagnose and treat dental disease, restore normal oral function using a broad range of treatments, such as surgery and other specialist techniques, and advise on oral health.
- diagnosing dental diseases using a range of methods such as radiographs, salivary tests and medical histories
- providing preventative oral health care such as periodontal treatments, fluoride applications and oral health promotion
- providing restorative oral care such as implants, complex crown and bridge restorations, and orthodontics, and repairing damaged and decayed teeth
- providing oral surgical treatments such as biopsy of tissue and prescription of medication
- performing routine orthodontic treatment
- restoring oral function with removable and fixed oral prostheses
- assisting in diagnosing general diseases having oral manifestations such as diabetes
- educating patients to take care of their mouth and teeth
- leading a dental team which may comprise Dental Hygienists, Dental Therapists, Dental Assistants and other Dental Specialists
- Skill Level
Occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).
Registration or licensing is required.
- Occupations in this Group
- 252311 Dental Specialist
- 252312 Dentist
Looking to apply for an Australia Visa under the occupation of Dentist – ANZSCO 252312?
We’d love to hear from you. Let us know about your journey so far in our comments below!