Australia Visa Overview

Electronic Travel Authority ETA (Subclass 601)

When it comes to moving to Australia, one of the most confusing aspects is the vast myriad of visa options you can choose as a basis for your Australia Visa application. One of these visa options is the Electronic Travel Authority ETA (Subclass 601) and to assist our visitors we have provided a high-level summary of this visa class below.

Electronic Travel Authority ETA (Subclass 601) Overview

The Electronic Travel Authority (Class UD) (Subclass 601) visa is for persons who wish to visit Australia temporarily as a tourist or to engage in business visitor activities such as attending a conference, attending a business meeting etc.


  • You must be outside Australia, or in immigration clearance to lodge a valid visa application.
  • This visa does not allow you to work in Australia or studying for more than 3 months.
  • In general, this visa allows you to stay in Australia for up to 3 months.
Australia Working Holiday Subclass 417 Visas

Key Eligibility requirements

  • You must be a citizen of a particular country. Eligible passports are prescribed by legislative instrument, read the complete list here.
  • You must satisfy certain Public Interest criteria and Special Return criteria.
  • You must meet health and character requirements.

Electronic Travel Authority ETA (Subclass 601) – Is this Visa type for you?

If you are considering applying for a Electronic Travel Authority ETA (Subclass 601) we would love to hear from you. Tell us about your journey in our comments below. If you have any questions we encourage you to post these in our forums. You can access our community forums by Clicking Here.

Please note this is only a high level summary of the Electronic Travel Authority ETA (Subclass 601) visa

The above is not an exhaustive list of requirements for the Electronic Travel Authority ETA (Subclass 601). This content on this page is provided for Getting Down Under visitors as general information purposes only, it is not immigration advice and must not be construed as such. While due care has been taken to ensure that the content is kept-up-to-date and correct, the accuracy of the information cannot be guarantee due to the frequent changes in migration law. Please view our Disclaimer for more information. Post Last Updated: 2020-10-12 11:45:17

Partner Visa (Subclass 820) & Partner (Residence) (Subclass 801)

Written by Mark

As the founder of Getting Down Under, Mark is passionate about demystifying the process associated with a move to Australia. Having launched Getting Down Under in early January 2006 and made the move to Australia from the UK in the same year, Mark continues to share resources and support for those looking for assistance. If you have a question for Mark, please post in our Community Forums. Please note All information provided on Getting Down Under should be considered in conjunction with our disclaimer. Please seek professional advice if you have any doubts! 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Australia Visa Overview

Visitor Visa (Subclass 600)

Australia Visa Overview

eVisitor Visa (Subclass 651)