Fits, assembles, grinds and shapes metal parts and subassemblies to fabricate production machines and other equipment.
- Skill Level
- Fitter Armament (Army)
- Skills Assessment Authority
- No caveats apply to this occupation.
Group: 3232 Metal Fitters and Machinists
fit and assemble fabricated metal parts into products, set up machining tools, production machines and textile machines, and operate machining tools and machines to shape metal stock and castings.
- studying drawings and specifications to determine suitable material, method and sequence of operations, and machine settings
- fitting fabricated metal parts into products and assembling metal parts and subassemblies to produce machines and equipment
- checking fabricated and assembled metal parts for accuracy, clearance and fit using precision measuring instruments
- setting guides, stops and other controls on machining tools, setting up prescribed cutting and shaping tools and dies in machines and presses, and setting controls for textile machines
- forming metal stock and castings to fine tolerances using machining tools to press, cut, grind, plane, bore and drill metal
- cutting, threading, bending and installing hydraulic and pneumatic pipes and lines
- preparing pattern mechanisms to control the operation of textile machines used to spin, weave, knit, sew and tuft fabric
- diagnosing faults and performing operational maintenance of machines, and overhauling and repairing mechanical parts and fluid power equipment
- may erect machines and equipment on-site
- Skill Level
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications and experience outlined below.
AQF Certificate III including at least two years of on-the-job training, or AQF Certificate IV (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)
In New Zealand:
NZ Register Level 4 qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)
At least three years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
- Occupations in this Group
- 323211 Fitter (General)
- 323212 Fitter and Turner
- 323213 Fitter-Welder
- 323214 Metal Machinist (First Class)
- 323215 Textile, Clothing and Footwear Mechanic
- 323299 Metal Fitters and Machinists nec
Looking to apply for an Australia Visa under the occupation of Fitter and Turner – ANZSCO 323212?
We’d love to hear from you. Let us know about your journey so far in our comments below!