Citizenship for my child.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Mark 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Pmariyappa
    Participant

Hi,
    I have been in Australia from over 8 years and been citizen from past 3 years.
    I got married in 2013 and our daughter was born in 2014 overseas.
    I was not a citizen when she was born and had to apply for visa for my daughter to bring her into Australia,Now both my wife and Daughter has got PR Visa.
    My question is.
    As i am a citizen and she is in my care Can i apply for citizenship for my daughter(She is residing in Australia for 2 years now)she is 2.5 years old.

Please reply.
    Thanks.

Mark
    Keymaster

As long as she is on your PR then absolutely you can! :)

If you are an Australian Citizen and have a child who was born outside Australia and is less than 16 years old, you can apply for citizenship on her behalf.

See form 119 for more info..

https://www.border.gov.au/Forms/Documents/119.pdf

All the best

Mark

Pmariyappa
    Participant

Hi Mark thanks for your valuable advice.
    I checked and form 119 and it is for citizenship by descent category.
    But i was not a citizen when my Daughter was born.
    She got her PR 8 months ago and she doesn’t fulfill residential requirement.

Can i still apply for her citizenship with application 119?

Thank you

Mark
    Keymaster

Hi Pmariyappa, I’m not 100% sure and I’d rather not guess my answer and give you incorrect advice.

May I suggest you reach out to the Australian immigration department to be 100% sure?

They have a number of options to contact them and they typically provide a response in a few days.

Contact details here:

http://www.border.gov.au/about/contact/make-enquiry

If you wouldn’t mind letting us know how you get on? It would be really helpful to find out what the official response is on your enquiry as its quite an unusual situation.

Sorry I couldn;t help more!

All the best

Mark

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.