Applies finishes, such as stain, lacquer, paint, oil and varnish, to furniture, and polishes and waxes finished furniture surfaces.
- Skill Level
- French Polisher
- Skills Assessment Authority
- No caveats apply to this occupation.
- Endorsed Correlations to ASCO Occupations
- 4929-13 Furniture Finisher
Group: 3942 Wood Machinists and Other Wood Trades Workers
set up and operate woodworking machines and wood turning lathes to shape wood stock, finish and polish furniture, and make picture frames and frame paintings, photographs and other artwork.
- studying drawings, work orders and sample parts to determine specifications
- determining tooling and machine requirements and sequence of operations
- setting up woodworking machines and wood stock for correct cutting, planning, turning, shaping and sanding
- operating machines to cut, plane, turn, shape and sand work pieces
- removing old finishes by stripping with steel wool and glasspaper, and by applying solvents and paint strippers, and removing softened finishes by scraping
- applying varnish, shellac, lacquer, stains and paint to surfaces and polishing and waxing finished surfaces
- fitting and fastening frame pieces
- mounting backing materials and subjects for framing
- Skill Level
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications and experience outlined below.
AQF Certificate III including at least two years of on-the-job training, or AQF Certificate IV (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)
At least three years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
- Occupations in this Group
- 394211 Furniture Finisher
- 394212 Picture Framer
- 394213 Wood Machinist
- 394214 Wood Turner
- 394299 Wood Machinists and Other Wood Trades Workers nec
Looking to apply for an Australia Visa under the occupation of Furniture Finisher – ANZSCO 394211?
We’d love to hear from you. Let us know about your journey so far in our comments below!