Operates equipment to pump oil and gas from wellheads, and refine and process petroleum products.
- Skill Level
- Alternative Titles
- Oil and Gas Well Treatment Operator
- Oil, Gas and Pipe Tester
- Petroleum and Gas Refining and Pumping Operator
- Gas Compressor Turbine Operator
- Petroleum Blending Plant Operator
- Petroleum Terminal Plant Operator
- Refinery Pipeline Operator
- Skills Assessment Authority
- Not eligible if:
TSS, ENS – The position is not located in regional Australia (within the meaning of subregulation 5.19(7) of the Regulations).
TSS, ENS – The position has nominated annual earnings of less than AUD120,000.
- Endorsed Correlations to ASCO Occupations
- 4987-01 Supervisor, Chemical, Petroleum and Gas Plant Operators
- 4987-13 Petroleum and Gas Plant Operator
Group: 3992 Chemical, Gas, Petroleum and Power Generation Plant Operators
control the operation of chemical production equipment, pump gas and oil from wellheads, refine and process petroleum products, and operate boilers, turbogenerators and associated plant to generate electrical power.
- controlling equipment performing continuous and batch processes to process chemicals and natural gas, manufacture refined petroleum products, and blend petroleum base stocks to produce commercial fuels, lubricating oils and asphalt
- controlling the preparation, measuring and feeding of raw material and processing agents such as catalysts and filtering media into plant
- patrolling and inspecting equipment to ensure proper operation and setting operating controls on equipment
- analysing samples and readings and recording test data
- controlling records of production, quantities transferred and details of blending and pumping operations
- checking equipment for malfunctions and arranging maintenance
- operating power generation plant controls to produce required load
- monitoring operation of power generation plant and interpreting instrument readings
- authorising procedures to isolate high-voltage and low-voltage electrical apparatus and plant
- writing reports and maintaining records on equipment performance, instrument readings and switching operations
- carrying out routine operating tests
- Skill Level
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications and experience outlined below.
AQF Certificate III including at least two years of on-the-job training, or AQF Certificate IV (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)
At least three years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
Registration or licensing may be required.
- Occupations in this Group
- 399211 Chemical Plant Operator
- 399212 Gas or Petroleum Operator
- 399213 Power Generation Plant Operator
Looking to apply for an Australia Visa under the occupation of Gas or Petroleum Operator – ANZSCO 399212?
We’d love to hear from you. Let us know about your journey so far in our comments below!