Prepares and dispenses pharmaceuticals, drugs and medicines in a hospital pharmacy. Registration or licensing is required.
- Skill Level
- Pharmaceutical Officer (Army)
- Skills Assessment Authority
- No caveats apply to this occupation.
- Endorsed Correlations to ASCO Occupations
- 2382-11 Hospital Pharmacist
Group: 2515 Pharmacists
ensure safe and quality use of medicines, and optimise health outcomes by contributing to selecting, prescribing, monitoring and evaluating medicine therapy, and researching, testing and developing pharmaceuticals and medical products.
- receiving prescriptions, checking patients’ medicine histories, and ensuring optimal dosage and methods of administration and drug compatibility before dispensing
- preparing or supervising the preparation and labelling of liquid medicines, ointments, powders, tablets and other medications to fill prescriptions
- advising prescribers on drug incompatibility and contra-indications
- reviewing and monitoring the medicine therapy of individual patients, and assessing the effectiveness of the total medicine therapy
- maintaining prescription files and recording issue of narcotics, poisons and habit-forming drugs
- storing and preserving vaccines, serums and other drugs subject to deterioration
- supplying non-prescription medicines, and diagnostic and therapeutic aids
- supervising and coordinating the work of Pharmacy Technicians, pharmacy interns and Pharmacy Sales Assistants
- conducting research to develop and improve pharmaceuticals, cosmetics and related chemical products
- conferring with Chemists, Engineering Professionals and other professionals about manufacturing techniques and ingredients
- testing and analysing drugs to determine their identity, purity and strength in relation to specified standards
- developing standards for drugs used in pharmaceuticals
- Skill Level
Occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification and a one year traineeship (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).
Registration or licensing is required.
- Occupations in this Group
- 251511 Hospital Pharmacist
- 251512 Industrial Pharmacist
- 251513 Retail Pharmacist
Looking to apply for an Australia Visa under the occupation of Hospital Pharmacist – ANZSCO 251511?
We’d love to hear from you. Let us know about your journey so far in our comments below!