Provides legal advice, prepares and drafts legal documents, and conducts negotiations on behalf of clients on matters associated with protecting intellectual capital, utilising patent law, copyright law and licensing. Registration or licensing is required.
- Skill Level
- Patent Attorney
- Trade Mark Attorney
- Skills Assessment Authority
- Not eligible if:
TSS, ENS – The position is not located in regional Australia (within the meaning of subregulation 5.19(7) of the Regulations).
Group: 2712 Judicial and Other Legal Professionals
hear legal and other matters in courts and tribunals; interpret, analyse, administer and provide advice on the law; and draft legislation.
- researching statutes and previous court decisions relevant to cases
- conducting trials and hearings
- calling and questioning witnesses
- hearing and evaluating arguments and evidence in civil and criminal summary matters
- deciding penalties and sentences within statutory limits, such as fines, bonds and detention, awarding damages in civil matters, and issuing court orders
- exercising arbitral powers if resolution is not achieved or seems improbable through conciliation
- preparing settlement memoranda and obtaining signatures of parties
- advising government of legal, constitutional and parliamentary matters and drafting bills and attending committee meetings during consideration of bills
- preparing advice on matters associated with intellectual property rights
- advising clients and agents on legal and technical matters
- Skill Level
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification and at least five years of relevant experience. Judges require appointment by the government or crown and must have been a Magistrate or an experienced legal practitioner of at least seven years standing. Magistrates must have been a legal practitioner of at least five years standing (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).
Registration or licensing may be required.
- Occupations in this Group
- 271211 Judge
- 271212 Magistrate
- 271213 Tribunal Member
- 271214 Intellectual Property Lawyer
- 271299 Judicial and Other Legal Professionals nec
Looking to apply for an Australia Visa under the occupation of Intellectual Property Lawyer – ANZSCO 271214?
We’d love to hear from you. Let us know about your journey so far in our comments below!