Makes and repairs jewellery such as rings, brooches, chains and bracelets, crafts objects out of precious metals, or cuts, shapes and polishes rough gemstones to produce fashion or industrial jewels.
- Skill Level
- Diamond Cutter
- Gem Setter
- Opal Polisher
- Ring Maker
- Skills Assessment Authority
- No caveats apply to this occupation.
- Endorsed Correlations to ASCO Occupations
- 4983-11 Jeweller
- 4983-13 Gem Cutter and Polisher
Group: 3994 Jewellers
make and repair jewellery such as rings, brooches, chains and bracelets, craft objects out of precious metals, and cut, shape and polish rough gemstones to produce fashion and industrial jewels.
- examining designs and specifications for jewellery and precious metal objects
- shaping moulded metal by cutting, filing, beating, turning and bending, using specialised hand and power tools
- assembling articles by soldering, screwing, riveting and otherwise joining
- securing precious stones in retaining prongs and ridges, and smoothing and checking final settings
- engraving designs on ring settings, brooches, bracelets and other articles
- repairing jewellery by soldering, replacing and rebuilding worn and broken parts
- appraising the quality and value of jewellery
- cutting and dividing stones to approximate final shape, using precision hand and power tools and jigs
- securing stones and shapes, cutting angles, smoothing and polishing
- finishing articles using files, emery paper and buffing machines
- restyling old jewellery
- Skill Level
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications and experience outlined below.
AQF Certificate III including at least two years of on-the-job training, or AQF Certificate IV (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)
At least three years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
- Occupations in this Group
- 399411 Jeweller
Looking to apply for an Australia Visa under the occupation of Jeweller – ANZSCO 399411?
We’d love to hear from you. Let us know about your journey so far in our comments below!