Longer Tourist Visas Now Open To Parents Of Australians

Longer tourist visas now open to parents of Australians

Longer tourist visas now open to parents of AustraliansAs we reported back in September, the Australian Imigration department was planning to grant longer term tourist visas for parents of Australian migrants.

Last Saturday (24th November) the changes went live. Chris Bowden, minister for Australian Immigration and citizenship said:

The ‘more generous tourist visas will enable regular extended family visits for those patiently waiting in the queue for a parent visa,’

‘Tourist visas will be considered on a case-by-case basis and will enable parents to spend more time in Australia with their families without needing to apply for a new visa each time they visit.

‘I know many Australians are looking forward to spending a longer period of time with their parents and I am pleased the government has been able to facilitate this.’

To be granted a tourist visa, applicants must meet Australia’s health and character requirements, have access to adequate funds, have health insurance to cover any healthcare costs during their stay and intend a genuine visit to Australia.

‘My department will consider granting five-year tourist visas with a 12-month stay on each entry to parents who are in the parent visa queue outside Australia,’ Mr Bowen said.

‘The department will also consider granting tourist visas of up to three years with a 12-month stay on each entry for parents not currently in the parent visa queue and who have complied with a previous Australian visa.’

Eligible parents will be able to stay in Australia for a maximum of 12 months in any 18-month period.

  • Let's Help You Get Down Under!
    Join Our Free Newsletter
    Join the 34,000 members who receive our Free Tips , News and Emigration Resources direct to their inbox.
    Give it a try, you can unsubscribe anytime.

    Leave a Reply

    2 Comment threads
    0 Thread replies
    Most reacted comment
    Hottest comment thread
    2 Comment authors
    Saw AngieGel Recent comment authors
    newest oldest most voted
    Notify of
    Saw Angie
    Saw Angie

    Hi there,

    I just read this article dated last September 2012. Is it still under the Tourist visa program for 2013. This is so good news to parents of Australian from overseas.


    I am a single parent of a 8 month old baby girl. Her father is an Australian citizen. We are not together although we are in speaking terms. He did sign my daughter’s birth certificate too, acknowledging her as his child. I understand that this entitles my daughter Citizenship by Descent which I will try to lodge next week. If everything goes well and she gets her citizenship, can I also apply for PR or Citizenship through my daughter? I really, really want to work and settle down in Oz but I prefer not to ask help from my daughter’s… Read more »