Marks off and fabricates structural steel and other metal stock to make or repair metal products and structures such as boilers and pressure vessels.
- Skill Level
- Brass Finisher
- Metal Fabricator-Welder
- Metal Template Maker
- Structural Steel Trades Worker
- Skills Assessment Authority
- No caveats apply to this occupation.
- Endorsed Correlations to ASCO Occupations
- 4121-01 Supervisor, General Fabrication Engineering Tradespersons
- 4121-11 General Fabrication Engineering Tradesperson
- 4122-01 Supervisor, Structural Steel and Welding Tradespersons
- 4122-11 Metal Fabricator
Group: 3223 Structural Steel and Welding Trades Workers
cut, shape, join and repair metal components of iron and steel structures, boilers, pressure vessels and pipes, ships and other vessels.
- studying blueprints, drawings and specifications to determine job requirements
- selecting, cleaning and preparing metal stock
- cutting marked-out metal sections and shapes using hand tools, flame cutting torches and metal cutting machines
- shaping and bending metal sections and pipes using hand and machine tools, and by heating and hammering
- aligning parts to be joined using hand tools and measuring instruments
- joining metal sections using various welding techniques, bolting and riveting
- examining welds for width of bead, penetration and precision
- finishing products by cleaning, polishing, filing and bathing in acidic solutions
- cleaning and smoothing welds by filing, chiselling and grinding
- Skill Level
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications and experience outlined below.
AQF Certificate III including at least two years of on-the-job training, or AQF Certificate IV (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)
At least three years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
- Occupations in this Group
- 322311 Metal Fabricator
- 322312 Pressure Welder
- 322313 Welder (First Class) (Aus) / Welder (NZ)
Looking to apply for an Australia Visa under the occupation of Metal Fabricator – ANZSCO 322311?
We’d love to hear from you. Let us know about your journey so far in our comments below!