Skilled Migration For Tradespeople Without Formal Qualifications
in ,

Migrating To Australia Without Formal Qualifications

Did you know that even if you don’t have any formal qualifications, if you have 5 years work experience in your Trade you may still be eligible for skilled migration to Australia.

Trade Work Experience Requirement

Your 5 years work experience may also include a period of training. If you are self-employed, you still may be eligible, but will need to provide more documents.

Eligible Occupations

Only certain occupations are available for this pathway – Skilled Occupation List (SOL) trades that may be eligible include:

  • Carpenters
  • Electricians
  • Plumbers
  • Air-conditioning and refrigeration Mechanics
  • Motor Mechanics
  • Metal Fabricators
  • Welders
  • Bricklayers

Application Process

Main stages of the application for General Skilled Migration are as follows:

  1. Skills Assessment
  2. Lodge Expression of Interest (EOI)
  3. State Nomination (if required)
  4. Visa application

The first step is to get your skills assessed. This is a 2 step process and will involve a paper application and then either a technical or practical assessment of your skills in your home country or Australia if you are reside in Australia already.

Skillselect Invitation Rounds – October 2019

Unlike other visas types that enable you to move enter Australia, you must be invited to apply for General Skilled Migration through the SkillSelect EOI system.

This is a critical stage of the process, but tradespersons generally progress through the system quite quickly with many eligible trade applicants receiving an invitation within a few weeks of having their skills assessed.

To be eligible for General Skilled Migration, you will need to pass a points test – if you have a significant amount of work experience, this can help in meeting the pass mark. You also receive points for age, English language ability and if you have a skilled spouse.

Once the invitation is received, you have 60 days to lodge your application for migration to Australia. Immigration will review your eligibility and ask for health and police clearances prior to grant of the permanent visa.


If you are a tradesperson with at least 5 years of work experience in your occupation, you may have a very good chance of migrating to Australia through the General Skilled Migration pathway.

Australians More Happy With Their Lives

More Information

Trades Recognition Australia – Offshore Skills Assessment Program

Article Rating

Written by Mark

As the founder of Getting Down Under, Mark is passionate about demystifying the process associated with a move to Australia. Having launched Getting Down Under in early January 2006 and made the move to Australia from the UK in the same year, Mark continues to share resources and support for those looking for assistance. If you have a question for Mark, please post in our Community Forums. Please note All information provided on Getting Down Under should be considered in conjunction with our disclaimer. Please seek professional advice if you have any doubts! 

Notify of
Most Voted
Newest Oldest
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Changes To The Points Test For Skilled Migration Have Been Made To Encourage International Students Who Have Completed Australian Postgraduate Research Qualifications In A Science, Technology, Engineering Or Mathematics Field To Remain In Australia.

Australian Student Visa Changes 1st July 2016

Flagged Jobs On The Sol

Will Your Occupation Be Removed From The Australian SOL