in ,

New Skilled Australian Visa Charges From January

Australian skilled visa application fees to increase in 2012Last monday we wrote an article advising that Australian skilled visa application fees were to increase in 2012

The Department of Immigration and Cirizenship (DIAC) has now confirmed that many of these increases will come into effect from 1 January, 2012 though others will be progressively introduced over the next 18 months (subject to normal legislative processes).

The changes will be applied to a number of Australian Visa’s.

The reasons given for the visa fee changes are “to target anomalies and inconsistencies, close the gap between visa access charges and the estimated costs of administering visas, and improve the integrity of the visa system.”

The Australian visas affected vary, with employer sponsored skilled migration, student visas and business visas being some of the subclasses which will see their fees changed. However, many of the visas most commonly applied for by applicants from the UK and Ireland (such as the Australian working holiday visa and the Australian ETA visa) will not see a change.

Most of the changes will see the application fee increased, except for the Australian student visa, which will see have its fee decreased in an effort to encourage students to choose Australia as their place of study.

The full list of fee changes is as follows:

 Changes to Australian visa application fees.

 See below for a full list of the fee changes which are taking place on 1 January, 2012.

New Fee

Bridging Visa B (subclass 020)


Employer Nomination / Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (subclass 119)


Labour agreement (subclass 120)


Employer nomination (subclass 121)


Distinguished talent offshore (subclass 124)


Five year resident return (subclass 155)


Three month resident return (subclass 157)


Provisional resident return (subclass 159)


Business (short stay) (subclass 456)


Business (long stay) (subclass 457)


Sponsored business visitor (subclass 459)


Skilled (recognised graduate) (subclass 476)


Skilled Graduate (subclass 485)


All students (subclasses 560-580)


Onshore tourist visa (subclass 676)


Established business In Australia (subclass 845)


State/ Territory sponsored regional business in Australia (subclass 846)


Labour Agreement (subclass 855)


Employer Nomination (subclass 856)


Employer nomination/Regional sponsored migration scheme (subclass 857)


Distinguished talent (subclass 858)


Skilled regional (subclass 887)


Business owner (subclass 890)


Investor (subclass 891)


State/Territory sponsored business owner (subclass 892)


State/Territory sponsored investor (subclass 893)


  • Site Admin

    Written by Mark

    As the founder of Getting Down Under, Mark is passionate about demystifying the process associated with a move to Australia.

    Having launched Getting Down Under in early January 2006 and made the move to Australia from the UK in the same year, Mark continues to share resources and support for those looking for assitance, Getting Down Under.

    If you have a question for Mark, please post in our Forums

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    Import Your Car To Australia – Costs And Top Tips When Making The Move

    Australia Australia The Land Down Under

    Do I need to complete the IELTS test?