New Temporary Visa for Parents Of Australian Residents

Temporary Parent Visa Australia

The Assistant Minister for Immigration and Border Protection Alex Hawke has announced a plan to introduce a new temporary visa for parents of Australian citizens, permanent residents and Eligible New Zealand citizens.

Under the new temporary visa to be introduced parents who are sponsored by their Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen child will be able to visit and stay in Australia for up to 5 years.

From the Australian Migration Website:

The Australian Government believes that parents should have the opportunity to visit children and grandchildren who live in Australia as long as parents and their sponsors can satisfy community expectations and that their stay in Australia does not have an undue cost impact on the Australian community.

While several visa options are already available for parents to spend time with their family in Australia, community feedback indicates that a fresh approach should be considered.

Additionally, the introduction of such a visa is a significant shift from current visa options for parents. It raises some issues around our communities and the nature of services to support these visitors. The government is seeking community input to help shape the development of the visa.

The new temporary visa for parents is planned to be implemented in July 2017 and is currently at a community discussion stage. This means that details about the new temporary visa may change and the confirmed details may only be published closer to July 2017.

Information about the new temporary visa for parents currently includes:

  • The validity of the visa is determined by the needs of the sponsor. As such the visa can allow parents to stay for one, three or five years
  • The sponsor(child) must have resided in and contributed (be employed and paid taxes) to Australia
  • The sponsor will need to demonstrate that they can support their parents in Australia
  • The parents will need to have adequate health insurance
  • A bond will be required for the duration of the visa validity


sponsored jobs in Australia TSS 482 Visa Jobs


Your email address will not be published.