in ,

New Visa Eligibility Criteria for Skilled Migrants On The Way

New Visa Eligibility Criteria for Skilled Migrants On The WayApplicants for an Australian visa will soon face a range of new eligibility criteria, it was revealed yesterday.

From July 2011, wannabe Australian migrants applying under any of the skilled visa streams will have to pass a new points-based test designed to target migrants more closely suited to Australia’s needs.

According to Australia’s immigration department, the changes will “focus on better English language skills, more extensive skilled work experience, higher level qualifications obtained in Australia and overseas and different age ranges.”

“These changes to the points test are an important next step in the series of reforms to the skilled migration program announced by the Government in February this year,” Australia Immigration Minister Chris Bowen said.

“The reforms set the foundations for a skilled migration program that will be responsive to our economic needs and continue to serve Australia’s interests in the medium to long term.”

Bowen said the old test did not effectively target the best and brightest for Australian immigration.

“The existing points test has not always led to outcomes consistent with the objectives of the skilled migration program… For example, the current test puts an overseas student with a short term vocational qualification and one year’s work experience in Australia ahead of a Harvard educated environmental engineer with three years’ relevant work experience,” he said.

Written by Mark

As the founder of Getting Down Under, Mark is passionate about demystifying the process associated with a move to Australia.
Having launched Getting Down Under in early January 2006 and made the move to Australia from the UK in the same year, Mark continues to share resources and support for those looking for assitance, Getting Down Under.

If you have a question for Mark, please post in our Forums

What do you think?

357 points
Upvote Downvote

Total votes: 0

Upvotes: 0

Upvotes percentage: 0.000000%

Downvotes: 0

Downvotes percentage: 0.000000%

One Comment

Leave a Reply
  1. i am an aussie living in the united states and i have been married to an american for over 12 years.. we have 2 kids, my husband suffers from a seizure dissorder, i was wondering is his condition going to stop him from living in australia, can someone please help me , we dont want to pay over $1,700 for the visa and then more to see the doctors, my husband is an A Journeyman electrican

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Australia Australia The Land Down Under

State Migration Plans – An Overview

Australia Australia The Land Down Under

New Brochure Available For Chefs And Cooks