Selects and buys goods for resale in a retail establishment.
- Skill Level
- Merchandise Planner
- Skills Assessment Authority
- Not eligible if:
TSS, ENS – The position:
(a) is based in a front line retail setting; or
(b) predominantly involves direct client transactional interaction on a regular basis.
Group: 6392 Retail and Wool Buyers
select and buy goods for resale in retail establishments, and value and buy wool sold by wool growers.
- monitoring sales data and stock levels, and studying trade, manufacturers’ and market information to keep informed of changing market conditions
- negotiating purchase, promotion and supply arrangements with suppliers
- designing and implementing pricing, marketing, promotional and display strategies
- liaising with management on long-term planning and sales promotions
- establishing working plans according to seasonal and budgetary requirements
- anticipating consumer trends and determining quantity, style and quality of goods to be purchased
- inspecting, comparing, selecting and valuing wool by determining colour, yield, micron and length
- inspecting and buying wool at auction, in wool brokers’ stores and in farm sheds
- receiving samples from scoured wool exchanges
- may visit freezing works to buy slipe wool
- Skill Level
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications and experience outlined below.
AQF Certificate III including at least two years of on-the-job training, or AQF Certificate IV (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)
At least three years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
- Occupations in this Group
- 639211 Retail Buyer
- 639212 Wool Buyer
Looking to apply for an Australia Visa under the occupation of Retail Buyer – ANZSCO 639211?
We’d love to hear from you. Let us know about your journey so far in our comments below!