Retirement Visa Class – An Overview

made the move to australia

Just because you may be over the age of 45 does not necessarily mean your chances of moving down under are lost for ever.

There are a number of Retirement Visa Classes available for those entering your golden years who still have a yearning to move down under.

Below we present the main options available to you:

INVESTOR RETIREMENT VISA (Temporary) – sub class 405

Who can apply: Anyone who is 55 years of age or over. If a couple, one partner only has to be 55

What it entitles you to:. Four years temporary residence in Australia with limited work rights of 20 hours per week. Further applications can be made.

Terms & Conditions: Applicants can have no Dependants other than a spouse and must have full private medical/hospital insurance at all times. State/territory government sponsorship is required and the following charges apply :

– A second visa charge of $8,000 per person

– Assets of $500,000 if settling in a regional area of Australia, or $750,000 if settling in a non-regional area, to establish themselves.

– Funds for investment in a treasury bond with the sponsoring state/territory government of $500,000 if settling in a regional area

or $750,000 if settling in a non-regional area.

– Net annual income stream from investments, pensions, etc. of $50,000 p.a. if settling in a regional area or $65,000 p.a. if settling in a non-regional area.

Subsequent visa applications will carry the same second application charge and annual income requirements but the amounts for investment in treasury bonds are $250,000 if settling in a regional area or $500,000 if settling in a non-regional area.

Further Information: Normal health and character checks are required on initial application and streamlined procedures on subsequent applications. Limited work rights will allow for voluntary work or investment management activities.

Leave a Reply

6 Comment threads
2 Thread replies
Most reacted comment
Hottest comment thread
6 Comment authors
newest oldest most voted
Notify of

My parents are retired and live in South Africa but aren’t very well and so I am wanting them to come and live here in Australia with me. They are over the ages of 55 and I am a permanent resident but I can’t seem to find a way to get them over. Help.


Mark I do need some advice. I am a New Zealand citizen living in Australia for the last 12 years . I intend to apply for Australian residency or citizenship, with the new law coming out in july . for NZ over 50 living in Australia. I work as a kindergarten teacher, finishing my masters in Inclusive education. now the second part i met Daniel a year ago and we got together he lives in London studied in Cambridge and works as a lecturer in a university there. now Daniel is 59 same age as me . He would like… Read more »

I wanted to re-locate in 2000 when the tariff was capital A$ 650k and A$40k income per annum. Those numbers are not easy for most who haven’t won the lottery and in addition one has to have cover for all tablets, treatments and care as Medicare may not be used. I gave up the idea when I worked out that Aussie taxes are pretty steep (up to 48%) and my IOM tax limit is 20%. Interest receipts suffer normally only 10% non-resident withholding tax. Income from New Zealand is only taxed at AOL non-resident tax of 2%. We also so… Read more »

Brian Divers

We are going to Australia next month on a contributory parents visa and have had not problem, took just over the year unlike Roger. We read in the Daily Mail several months ago that if you were of retirement age then you do not pay income tax on your pensions. Nobody will clarify this. Can you help. Thanks Brian

Roger Meade

Just a note that the info on the Contributory Parents visa is a little misleading as it says there is no waiting list. The latest information is that if you apply you are unlikely to get your visa in less than 13 months or more.
We applied in Oct. 2006 and other than an acknowledgement have not had a single word.
I think this is a poor show by the Aussie Gov. considering the fees you pay …now up To A$ 31.555 from July.

Scroll to Top