2019 School Fees for Children of 482 Visa Holders

If you are bringing school aged children with you when you move to Australia on a 482 Visa (school age usually being 5 years old or above), you will need to arrange for them to attend school.

In Some Australian states, 482 Visa holders need to pay a school fee to send their children to public schools. The school fees vary across Australian states and territories with many states and territories having different public school tuition policies for students accompanying parents on a 457 visa.

It’s important therefore to give consideration to the school fees payable by 482 visa holders when considering which Australian State or Territory you’d like to call home.  As a 482 visa resident, the fees charged by some states can be quite large.

We’d also recommend that you give consideration of these school fees when negotiating the salary for job being offered as in some instances, 482 sponsors may pay this fee as part of your job package.

Following is a summary of the 482 school fees payable for public schools in each of Australia’s states and territories.

Like all of the posts and guides, you’ll find here on 482 Jobs Australia. Please be mindful of the date of this article (March 2019) as these fees may have been updated since this article was published. If you notice any inaccuracies please let us know in our comments so we can correct them.

482 School Fees in New South Wales (NSW)

The Government of New South Wales (NSW) charges fees for dependents of 482 visa holders. The charges for Primary school and Junior high stand at $5200 per year and $6,200 for Senior high school students.

These fees should be paid in advance. It is possible to apply for an exemption for such fees which will be assessed by the NSW Department of Education.

Such an exemption may be approved if one can prove financial hardship due to the school fee levy.

482 School Fees in Western Australia (WA)

In 2015 the Western Australian Government introduced a tuition fee for families on 482 Visas (temporary skilled workers) whose children attend public schools in this state. The fee is $4000 per family each year, regardless of the number of children a family have enrolled in public schools.

Families on 482 visas earning less than $75,000 AUD per year may be exempt from the $4,000 fee to send a child to a West Australian public school.

482 School Fees in the Australian Capital Territory (ACT)

482 visa holders residing in the Australian Capital Territory (ACT) are liable for international student charges. These fees are currently the highest of any Australian state with a fee of $12,500 for years 7-10 in high school and $13,900 for years 11 through 12 in high school.

Note though that the ACT Department of Education and Training normally expects a sponsor to meet all educational costs incurred. These fees can be waived for those on a subclass 482 visa pertaining to certain circumstances.

482 school fees in Tasmania

If you are moving to Tasmania to work on a temporary resident Visa, most children will incur a fee.

Current fees for children of 482 visa holders are

Full year: AUD $7500,  Weekly fee: AUD $220

All dependent students are required to pay school levies. School levies are approximately AUD $300 – $750 per year.

482 School Fees in the Northern Territory, South Australia, Queensland and Victoria

The rest of the Australian States generally provide Government schooling to 482 residents children in the same way as Australian citizens or permanent residents:

The Northern Territory does allow temporary 482 visa holders the same subsidized education as Australian citizens and permanent residents. Other temporary visa holders are liable to pay for these fees.

The government of South Australia treats the dependents of temporary work visa holders as local students and charges them the applicable local fees.

However, the students are also eligible to apply for Government assistance loans.

The Government of Queensland from the 4th of December 2012 introduced a fee waiver for student dependents of 482 visa holders.

Migrants on a 482 visa residing in Victoria are normally exempt from paying school fee’s or are either eligible for subsidised education when enrolling in a public school.

What the 482 School Fees Cover

For 482 Visa holders, the school fees represent a partial contribution to the education costs of students enrolled in the public school system.

The Education Fee includes most tuition costs and access to student support services.

The fee also includes access to the applicable State studies curriculum across all key learning areas, textbook hire, access to student welfare and counseling services, access to intensive English as an Additional Language/Dialect (EAL/D) support for eligible visa holders and access to TAFE subjects if eligible and within the curriculum requirements.

Each school may request voluntary school contributions and charge additional fees for certain subjects or optional extension activities. Voluntary school contributions apply to all students, including those who are permanent residents.

Although the fee covers a lot, you need to be mindful that the fee will not cover everything.

What the School Fees for 482 visa holders do not cover:

The school fees payable by 482 visa holders do not cover:

  • The cost of school excursions,
  • The provision of school uniforms,
  • Student medical expenses,
  • Subsidised travel under the School Student Transport Scheme (SSTS).

So there we go. School Fees for 482 Visa holders can amount to quite a considerable expense. As stated earlier, give consideration to the potential fees payable when negotiating your salary with a potential employer. Some sponsors may be willing to cover these school fees as part of your job package.

Have any further questions about the school fees payable by workers on a 482 visa? Post in our comments below or visit our forums here

  • Site Admin

    Written by Mark

    As the founder of Getting Down Under, Mark is passionate about demystifying the process associated with a move to Australia.

    Having launched Getting Down Under in early January 2006 and made the move to Australia from the UK in the same year, Mark continues to share resources and support for those looking for assitance, Getting Down Under.

    If you have a question for Mark, please post in our Forums

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    Australian visa skillselect invitation round results

    January 2019 Australian Visa Invitation Rounds

    aged care or religious worker Australia visa

    New Australian Visa Opportunities For Aged Care and Religious Workers