Operates industrial sewing machines to sew and finish garments and soft furnishings such as curtains.
- Skill Level
- Skills Assessment Authority
- No caveats apply to this occupation.
Group: 7116 Sewing Machinists
operate industrial sewing machines to sew and finish garments and soft furnishings such as curtains.
- threading machines, inserting bobbins and positioning parts to be sewn
- starting, stopping and controlling speed of machines with pedals and knee levers to coordinate actions of presser feet, clothes guides, blades and other attachments, and guiding parts under needles, following edges, seams and markings
- changing needles and adjusting, securing and modifying attachments to machines
- finishing items by cutting excess material and threads
- operating thread trimming and other non-sewing machines
- inspecting stitching for defects and notifying repair mechanics of machine malfunctions
- performing basic maintenance such as lubrication of machines
- may do laying up and bundling tasks
- may ticket, label and finish work
- Skill Level
At least one year of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
- Occupations in this Group
- 711611 Sewing Machinist
Looking to apply for an Australia Visa under the occupation of Sewing Machinist – ANZSCO 711611?
We’d love to hear from you. Let us know about your journey so far in our comments below!