Assesses the social needs of individuals, families and groups, assists and empowers people to develop and use the skills and resources needed to resolve social and other problems, and furthers human wellbeing and human rights, social justice and social development. Registration or licensing may be required.
- Skill Level
- Whanau Support Worker (Family Support Worker) (NZ)
- Skills Assessment Authority
- No caveats apply to this occupation.
- Endorsed Correlations to ASCO Occupations
- 2511-11 Social Worker
Group: 2725 Social Workers
assess the social needs of individuals, families and groups, assist and empower people to develop and use the skills and resources needed to resolve social and other problems, and further human wellbeing and human rights, social justice and social development.
- acting as a facilitator between clients in need and community services
- assessing resources for health, welfare, recreation, housing, employment and other community services
- providing leadership and assistance for the implementation of pilot projects in community development and self-help, and planning and implementing research projects to address client needs, organisation goals and social policy
- cooperating with community organisations, social agencies and voluntary groups to improve services and develop new services
- conducting individual and family case interviews to identify the nature and extent of clients’ problems
- assisting clients to understand and resolve problems by providing information, acting as a mediator and referring them to community and self-help agencies
- analysing, developing, promoting and implementing social policies through the use of practice experience, research, analytic frameworks, and negotiation skills to respond to social need through a fair, equitable and effective allocation of social resources
- monitoring the progress of clients by maintaining contact
- compiling case records and reports
- Skill Level
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).
Registration or licensing may be required.
- Occupations in this Group
- 272511 Social Worker
Looking to apply for an Australia Visa under the occupation of Social Worker – ANZSCO 272511?
We’d love to hear from you. Let us know about your journey so far in our comments below!