Performs surgery to correct diseases and disorders covering a broad range of medical conditions. Registration or licensing is required.
- Skill Level
- Skills Assessment Authority
- No caveats apply to this occupation.
- Endorsed Correlations to ASCO Occupations
- 2312-31 Surgeon
Group: 2535 Surgeons
perform surgery to correct deformities, repair injuries, prevent and treat diseases, and improve human functioning and appearance. Medical Registrars training as Surgeons are included in this unit group.
- examining patients to determine the necessity of operations, estimating and explaining risks to patients, and selecting the best operational procedures
- reviewing reports on patients’ general physical condition, reactions to medications and medical histories
- consulting with Anaesthetists regarding the correct anaesthesia for patients
- performing surgical operations
- examining instruments, equipment, and surgical set-up to ensure that antiseptic and aseptic methods have been followed
- instructing other medical, nursing and associated staff regarding the preparation of patients and instrument and equipment requirements
- prescribing post-operative care, and observing and investigating patients’ progress
- maintaining records of operations performed
- may specialise in particular types of operations
- Skill Level
Occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification, two years hospital-based training, and at least five years specialist study and training (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).
Registration or licensing is required.
- Occupations in this Group
- 253511 Surgeon (General)
- 253512 Cardiothoracic Surgeon
- 253513 Neurosurgeon
- 253514 Orthopaedic Surgeon
- 253515 Otorhinolaryngologist
- 253516 Paediatric Surgeon
- 253517 Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeon
- 253518 Urologist
- 253521 Vascular Surgeon
Looking to apply for an Australia Visa under the occupation of Surgeon (General) – ANZSCO 253511?
We’d love to hear from you. Let us know about your journey so far in our comments below!