Top Tips When Using Australian Migration Agents

migration agents australia tips

Well hello there.  Gosh it’s quiet on the news front at the moment. In fact so quiet that the only Australian Immigration news appearing in my customised Google news feed references the fact that Australian Immigration may linked to drinking dry spell. Serious news indeed!!

Australian immigration linked to dry spell

To be fair this is pretty big news for the Aussies that enjoy a drink but on the basis this seems to be the biggest news since April 4th goes to show that there isn’t much going on.

With this in mind, I thought I’d share an article about the wonderful world of Australian Immigration Agents.

We’ve written before about how to find a registered migration agent;  however this article covers a little bit more information including some of the checks you should be undertaking to make sure your dealing with a qualified agent and a number of tips to follow during your Australian Visa Application Process.

Firstly, let’s talk a little about the Registration Authority of the Migration Agents

The Office of the Migration Agents Registration Authority (often referred to as MARA) is the regulatory body that ensures only fit and proper persons are approved as registered migration agents and investigates complaints against agents. It is a discrete office attached to the Department of Immigration and Border Protection.

Choosing a migration agent and a few FACTS to consider.

  • Registered migration agents have a unique Migration Agents Registration Number (MARN).
  • You can check if a person is registered by searching for their MARN on the Authority’s website.
  • Lawyers and education agents need to be registered before they can give you immigration assistance in Australia.
  • No person can guarantee you will get a visa – even if the person is a registered migration agent.
  • Unless exempt, it is illegal for anyone to give immigration advice in Australia if they are not registered with the Authority. A list of exempt persons can be found on the Department of Immigration and Border Protection’s Form 956.

Things you need to know about your agents obligations:

Your agent must:

  • Give you a copy of the Consumer Guide once they have agreed to do work for you. You can also get a copy from the Authority’s website.
  • Give you a Statement of Services listing what services they will charge you for before you pay.
  • Return any documents that belong to you within 7 days after you have asked.
  • Keep records of all communication about your application with you and the Department of

So what happens if I’m already dealing with an Australian Migration agent and I have some concerns?

Firstly remember to contact the Authority if you need advice. If the level of service you are providing from your agent is poor or none compliant then be rest assured that making a complaint to the Australian Migration Authority or the Department of Immigration and Border Protection will not affect the outcome of your visa application.

If it transpires that the migration agent you’re working with is unregistered persons, then the individual in question should be reported to the Department of Immigration.

Remember, you can check if your migration agent is registered using the Migration Agents Registration Authority website here:

We hope this proves to be of use. We also hope to have some more interesting updates to post very soon.

Leave a Reply

3 Comment threads
0 Thread replies
Most reacted comment
Hottest comment thread
3 Comment authors
newest oldest most voted
Notify of

My fiance in Australia. I live in Australia permanently my sister has applied for her student visa. So I want to visa.

Thanks for talking about the MARN and how to check registration. My fiance is Australian, so I’m going to have to start the process of migration (immigration? I can never remember the proper term) soon, and of course, I don’t want anything to go wrong during the process. I will make sure that I check that website before I hire someone!

Kuldeep smagh

Hi mark, I am australian permanent resident and my wife has applied for her partner sponsor visa in July 2014 . But we r still waiting . If I ask my immigration agent about her application . he says he can’t say anything until file is opened and case officer contacts him . But my wife is on tourist visa and we r goin to have baby in 2 months time. I dint want leave her alone in India for her delivery. I talked to medicare people and they first said they could give her medicare for 12 months but… Read more »

Scroll to Top