Cares for animals under treatment or in temporary residence at veterinary facilities and assists Veterinarians to perform procedures and operations.
- Skill Level
- Alternative Titles
- Animal Nurse
- Veterinary Assistant
- Skills Assessment Authority
- No caveats apply to this occupation.
Group: 3613 Veterinary Nurses
care for animals under treatment and in temporary residence at veterinary facilities and assist Veterinarians to perform procedures and operations.
- holding animals to allow examination and treatment by Veterinarians
- cleaning and sterilising examination tables and equipment
- preparing instruments and handing them to the Veterinarian
- assisting Veterinarians to administer anaesthetics and oxygen during operations
- placing animals in cages for recovery from operations and monitoring their condition
- giving medications to animals
- maintaining stock control and records
- providing animal care advice, and preparing, delivering, and reviewing animal care education programs
- may perform diagnostic laboratory tests
- may act as receptionist, accept payments and undertake clerical work
- Skill Level
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications and experience outlined below.
AQF Certificate III including at least two years of on-the-job training, or AQF Certificate IV (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)
In New Zealand:
NZ Register Level 4 qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)
At least three years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
- Occupations in this Group
- 361311 Veterinary Nurse
Looking to apply for an Australia Visa under the occupation of Veterinary Nurse – ANZSCO 361311?
We’d love to hear from you. Let us know about your journey so far in our comments below!