Cares for animals under treatment or in temporary residence at veterinary facilities and assists Veterinarians to perform procedures and operations.
- Skill Level
- Alternative Titles
- Animal Nurse
- Veterinary Assistant
- Skills Assessment Authority
- No caveats apply to this occupation.
Group: 3613 Veterinary Nurses
care for animals under treatment and in temporary residence at veterinary facilities and assist Veterinarians to perform procedures and operations.
- holding animals to allow examination and treatment by Veterinarians
- cleaning and sterilising examination tables and equipment
- preparing instruments and handing them to the Veterinarian
- assisting Veterinarians to administer anaesthetics and oxygen during operations
- placing animals in cages for recovery from operations and monitoring their condition
- giving medications to animals
- maintaining stock control and records
- providing animal care advice, and preparing, delivering, and reviewing animal care education programs
- may perform diagnostic laboratory tests
- may act as receptionist, accept payments and undertake clerical work
- Skill Level
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications and experience outlined below.
AQF Certificate III including at least two years of on-the-job training, or AQF Certificate IV (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)
At least three years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
- Occupations in this Group
- 361311 Veterinary Nurse
Looking to apply for an Australia Visa under the occupation of Veterinary Nurse – ANZSCO 361311?
We’d love to hear from you. Let us know about your journey so far in our comments below!